Author's Note - "Reclamation"

March 8, 2024

Today is the one year anniversary of my platonic heartbreak, when Leah sent voice messages deservedly indicating the end of our friendship. I was sleeping downstairs on the basement couch with Barrett, and I bawled so loudly I woke him up.

As much as I have learned from the Leah Arc, and I have learned a lot from the Leah Arc, I have perhaps learned just as much from the Post-Leah Arc. In hindsight, admittedly, I could be, at times, self-centered and codependent. I relied on external means of self-worth. Losing Leah caused the external to give way to the internal. Grief gave way to change. Pain gave way to progress. And right when I was at my lowest, I learned that even I, for how bad I could be, am not beyond redemption.

I cried to one of my specialists a couple days ago when I realized that I had finally internalized one of the main points of what Leah had taught me: that she didn't hate me, she was proud of me, and that if she could see me now, she would be more proud of me than ever. But most importantly, I finally internalized that I was proud of myself.

As I dictate this, plans are being finalized for me to move from Pennsylvania to Florida, from Lancaster to Deerfield Beach. It will be my first time being truly alone. But one of the things I've learned is that I am not alone.

I thought I couldn't live without Leah, but now I'm stronger than ever. I thought that I was traumatized at the notion of moving, but I've felt no anxiety over this sudden change in my life.

The Leah Arc is done. The Post-Leah Arc is done. And now, I am starting a new Chapter. Somehow, I think this new chapter just might be as good, if not better.

Thank you all for reading.

Thank you all for following.

Thank you all for listening.

I'm not done writing, not by a longshot.

And I'm not done living, either.

Forward to the future,

David the Incredible