Diamonds

Husk continued to stare at the woman in front of him as she fixed his hair with a brush. Her gorgeous brown eyes were looking at the top at his hair in concentration as her smooth fingers treaded lightly in them.

He marveled at the color of her hair. A beautiful glow in contrast to the darkness of hell shined from her. It made him lightly smile. He was love struck. Only one year had passed and he fell, hard. He fell harder than when he arrived here in hell.

A magnificent woman, and her soul belonged to him. He had her with him forever. He had a deep affection for her and a deeper connection with her. They had grown close. But he was afraid she'd never love him back.

He presented little signs of fondness and appreciation but she never took them seriously. They were just friends in her eyes. Nothing more.

"Done." Amelia said.

"How do I look?" He asked, shaking himself out of the daze he was in.

She hummed and walked around the chair he was sitting in to get a good look at him. When she appeared back in front, she fixed his bow tie.

"Good." She said and smiled.

They were currently in the bedroom they shared together getting ready to meet with another overlord. Husk wanted to gamble with him to ease him up and gain his soul.

"Let's go." He said and got up.

Amelia put her hood over her head and followed him downstairs to the main part of the casino. To ensure that Husk could keep Amelia safe, he offered her a place to stay.

She insisted on moving in with him in the penthouse of the casino he owned. He agreed and it became easier for him to spend more time with her.

She still had this longing in her. It was a sadness that Husk felt was dragging her down. She seemed happy to be here in hell, but there was a past part of her life that she never told him.

She never told him how she got so beat up the first day she arrived, and she never told him anything about her life on earth. He was okay with that as long as she was happy now. Oh, what he'd do to see her happy.

When the duo made it to the bottom floor of the casino, they immediately noticed him sitting at one of the tables. He had red and black hair, deer ears, small deer antlers, and a red suit to match his aesthetic. He wore a large, confident smile aligned with sharp teeth. He had a cane shaped like an old style microphone leaning against the table next to him.

Husk took a seat down in front of the other overlord. Amelia stood at the end of the table ready for the game of craps to begin. The two overlords introduced each other and the game was finally set in motion.

Husk lost $250,000 (£197,519.15 or €230,400) in the first round. They continued to play. It was a minor setback for Husk, and a big win to Alastor.

$300,000 (£237,022.98 or €276,480) lost in the second round. They continued. Still, a minor setback for Husk, and a bigger win for Alastor.

$1M (£79,007,660 or €92,160,000) given to Alastor the first round, second game.

Things were starting to get frustratingly hard for Husk. They moved to the second round, second game. Husk lost. The continued. At the end of the third game, Husk had nothing left to offer. All the chips were on Alastor's side. He was about to quit the game before Alastor spoke up.

"How about this..." Alastor said. Multiple cards had appeared in Alastor's hands as he shuffled them. "The back of each card will be facing you. Pick a card." He said.

"If it's a spade or a heart, you can have your money back and I will forever be indebted to you. If it's any type of Ace, you will get your money back but I won't be indebted to you. If it's a clover or a diamond, your soul and all the souls you own will be mine. You will keep your power, however." He explained with his smile implanted on his face.

Husk was weighing out his options. He turned to Amelia and saw her shake her head. It wasn't worth it to her. The stakes were in their favor, but he was an overlord. He could've been cheating all along.

But she saw it in his eyes: greed. He was power hungry and he wouldn't take no as an answer.

"Simple enough." Husk said turning his attention back to the deer demon. They shook hands.

Alastor held the cards in his hands, the backs facing Husk just like he said. Husk regretted his decision immediately. A frown settled on his face as he reached his hand out.

"Pick your poison." Alastor said when he saw the hesitation in Husk's eyes. Amelia watched intensely as Husk picked one.

He turned it over. King of diamonds. Diamond. Husk lost. Green chains wrapped around his throat and his wrists.

"Wait a minute!" Husk pleaded, gripping at the chains that held him.

A contract appeared in front of him with the terms of agreement and his name signed at the bottom.

"I wasn't-"

"Here's your soul contract that I now own." Alastor interrupted. Multiple other different contracts appeared as well. "Here's everyone else's soul contract that you used to own."

Amelia felt chains wrap around her arms and neck. They weren't green like Husk's, they were still orange. Then the chains snapped and her contract disappeared.

Alastor turned to her, radio dials replaced his eyes and a shadow loomed over him. "Interesting." He said.

"You failed to protect her." Alastor said turning back to Husk, mocking him. That meant Amelia's soul isn't owned by anyone. She's in danger again.

"Sir-" Husk said.

"I'll leave you here. But when I ask for a favor, don't forget it's your obligation." Alastor said.

He went back to his normal form with a smile on his face.

"Have a wonderful day, Husker!" He bid farewell as he walked out of the casino.

The green chains and the contract had disappeared by now. Husk still sat at the table in shock. He didn't know what to do. Amelia approached him, slowly.

"Husk?" She asked.

He turned to her. He should've listened to her warning, it wasn't worth it.

"Let's go back upstairs." She offered quietly. He didn't have his soul anymore, but he had her. And she didn't want to leave anytime soon. His fearful expression changed to one of acceptance.

"Yeah." He said.

She helped him up and lead him to their room. He wasn't an overlord anymore.

...

In the morning, Amelia had woken up to his empty bed and a note. He wasn't a morning person, so she knew something happened.

She grabbed the note on the table next to her and read it.

"Dear, Ms. Amelia,

I had to borrow Husker for his services. He will be staying with me. If you would like to join him, go to the Hazbin Hotel on the outskirts of the city.

With all respect and courtesy
-Alastor."

She stared at the note as reality hit her. It hit her slowly and painfully. What was left of her life?

She got up and got dressed. She packed her bags and set her destination on her phone. She pulled up her hood. She knew exactly where she was going to be staying for a while.