Overture

SMACK.

Amelia quickly opened her eyes and sat up in bed. She clawed at her chest to slow down her racing heart. Tears were in her hazel eyes as she stared at the door in front of her.

She gripped onto her throat so that she could breathe properly. She kept staring at the door, not being able to think past the anxiety. Her panic slowly started to die down in realization that it was just a nightmare.

She constantly had dreams like those. She'd remember her horrible past and it'd become a horrifying nightmare that took a twisted turn every time.

In some dreams, her mother would beat her with her father; in others, her friends would violate her; and in a few of them, she'd never make it out alive. It terrified her to the core knowing that those things could've happened.

Three knocks sounded on the other side of her bedroom door. For a minute, she thought it was her father dragging her away from the place she called home.

"Amelia?" Husk called out and she relaxed. "Can I come in?"

Husk knew about her problems with nightmares. Considering they shared the same room together when he was an overlord, he always helped her through it. And, after another year of exterminators, they got used to doing this in the hotel.

Amelia looked down at the very loose bra she wore around her breasts. She trusted Husk, but not that much.

"Just give me a minute." Amelia called back.

He respected her wishes and stayed outside of the room. She lazily got up and grabbed a random pajama shirt in her dresser and put it on. It had very thin straps and was slightly see through. Of course she had to choose that one.

Not wanting Husk to wait any longer, she sluggishly walked to her bed and plopped in a sitting position. She slightly covered her chest with the blanket.

"Come on in, Husk." She told him.

Husk slowly opened the door with a creek and looked inside. He wanted to make sure he wasn't invading her privacy. Once he realized he wasn't, he walked in and closed the door behind him.

He yawned and sauntered over to her bed. He grabbed the chair that was at her desk and pulled it next to the bed.

"Morning." He sluggishly said.

"Morning." Amelia replied with just as much tiredness in her voice.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, yeah." She lied. "I'm fine."

He gave her a look. He's been through this a hundred times with her.

"Tell me what's wrong." He said.

And like a hundred times before, a shadow appeared in the darkest corner of the room. It watched and waited, like every morning.

"Just a nightmare." She said plainly and leaned against his shoulder.

"Just a nightmare?" He repeated and wrapped an arm around her shoulders to pull her closer to him.