𝘛𝘶𝘭𝘪𝘱

❈•≫────≪•◦ ❦ ◦•≫────≪•❈

|  |   𝟕   |  |

"Please Petra, if you could spare a night for us, she's been looking forward to this day and she has been pestering us to get you an invite," Mr. Agapov pleas, and honestly I can see from his point of view that his one and only daughter is counting on me to make an appearance. 

I mean if Ericka begged me to get the character from her favorite cartoon to come to her birthday party, I'd go out my way just to get them.

After she interned with me at work while Sof was away on vacation, we grew attached and I don't want to toot my own horn but she looks up to me highly. I lightly laugh, "Don't worry Mr. Agapov, I'll be there, I saw the invitation in the mail this morning, so tell Anna I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Thank you so much Petra, there would be hell if you declined," he sighs in relief and probably wipes a sweat that pricked at his receding hairline. Mr. Agapov is an Architectural genius and a business partner, one of few that I respect to great lengths.

"I doubt she's that bad but don't worry, I won't let you down," I reassure him.

"Thank you, have a good night dear," the call ends, and just as it did I sent off the last email for the night. I stretch on the stool, my joints popping from sitting in one place for four hours straight. 

I begin to feel a headache starting to come on so I hop off the stool and run upstairs towards my bedroom for one of the pills I received from Ziel. I didn't through them out, seems like a waste of good medication that can help with headaches.

Entering my room, I pull open the drawer of my bedside table and grab the pack of pills before popping one into my palm. I make my way back through my bedroom, and down the hall before all the lights in my house suddenly shut off. The sound of the vents completely stops, leaving me in complete darkness. 

A blackout? 

I wasn't sure, considering the next house over is literally nearly ten minutes away with woods separating us, it was too far to tell if it was. I near the top of my stairs, before I hear the basement door slam loudly. I gasp, unsure if I want to go downstairs for the glass of water. 

"Hello," I call out, hoping to hear Ziel's voice or loud footsteps but I've come to find out those tend to be unreliable as he can walk in heavy boots without making a single sound. 

Silence deafens the air, to the point that only the sound of my heart can be heard. I look around, seeing faint shadows forming in the darkest corners of my house, and if I was half as mad as Ziel, I'd think they were my demon coming to fucking life.

"Ziel," I call out once again, waiting for a moment to hear him answer. That moment turned into minutes until I was just standing there thinking at some point I'd develop night vision to see more clearly like the creatures that only come out at night.

I turn, striding back to my room in the complete dark. Thank God I know this house like the back of my hand otherwise, I'd most likely face plant into a wall. I enter my room and turn into my bathroom, opening the mirror cupboard for the used candle I place inside for times like this. 

I remove the half-used candle that's waxed in its holder and frantically search for a lighter in the counter drawer, until, wah-lah, I found it. I light the candle, allowing the lights to fill up the room as dim as it may be. 

Turning out of the bathroom, I make my way back down the hall, watching all the shadows vanish with the flickering flame. I look around meticulously, before seeing a shadow bolt down the stairs except this shadow was a demon I know all too well.