17

Anum immediately dialed Ayesha.

"Hey babess..tell me your hubby has agreed." Came a cheerful voice from the other end.

"Um..actually, he will come home late."

"Even better! These men, they're worth nothing. We women are enough, we certainly do not need any man's approval for anything. Anyways, I'll come pick you up by 8pm."

"Hm...okay."

"T'll text you my address, but you will have to park the car away from the main gate. There is a lot of security."

"Sure, see yaa, babes."

Anum placed the phone on the side table and headed to the walk-in closet, selecting a simple yet elegant blue anarkali dress.

After a refreshing shower, she efficiently completed some college assignments and prepared herself for the event. Anum did not have any gift for Ayesha, so she packed the unused and unopened designer purse that Irtaza got for her two days ago.

A call from Ayesha interrupted Anum.

"I'm here, but the driveway gate is open. No guards in sight," Ayesha reported.

"Really?" Anum exclaimed in surprise, rushing to the balcony.

"You're right. Security might have gone with my husband."

"Great! I'm pulling up at the front gate. Come quickly!"
Anum brushed off the lingering uneasy feeling with a nonchalant shrug. as she made her way outside.

"Happy birthday, Ayesha," Anum joyfully greeted her friend, presenting a gift bag as she entered the car.
Ayesha, eyeing Anum's outfit, exclaimed, "What are you wearing, girl?!"

Confused, Anum checked her clothes, asking, "Huh?
What's wrong?"

Ayesha chuckled, "It's my birthday. We're not heading to some desi festival. We're going to my home. Change into something more suitable, darling."

Anum hesitated, "But my clothes look fine."

"Please, babes," Ayesha showed her puppy eyes, steering the car towards their destination.

Soon they reached Ayesha's house.

"Here, try this one," Ayesha suggested, handing Anum a super short black dress.

Anum hesitated, "What? No, I don't wear these types of dresses."

Ayesha sighed, "Ugh, fine. Check out this one." She handed Anum a long, full-sleeved dress, which Anum accepted hesitantly.

۲۶۳۶۶۳۶۶۶۳۶۳۳۶۳۶۳۶۲۲۷۲۶۶۳۶۳۶۳۶۳۶۳۶۳۷۳۶۳۶

"And... we're here!" Ayesha chirped happily as she parked the car. They both made their way to the venue.

Anum quickly covered her ears as loud music bursted through them. Young men and women were drinking and dancing like crazy.

"Ayesha, where are we? I thought we were going to a restaurant." Anum asked her worriedly.

Ayesha just laughed and replied, "Yeah, they have food too."

Confused, Anum watched as a guy in his early twenties approached them.

He hugged Ayesha and wished her.

"Who is this?" He inquired Ayesha, looking towards Anum.

"Oh. That's Anum, we're taking Computer Sciene together. Anum, meet my friend, Shameer."

Shameer stepped towards Anum to hug her, but she quickly stepped back and passed him a slight smile.
He too smiled back at her, nodding his head.

"I think I should go home. I don't feel good here,"
Anum expressed her unease.

Ayesha insisted, "Come on, Anum, we just got here.
Please don't ruin my birthday."

Anum added, "But I forgot my phone at home. What if my husband calls?"

Ayesha reassured her, "Don't worry, I'll drop you home safely. My friends are on their way. We will have some fun, and then we'll go home. So just loosen up and chill."

Shameer returned with vodka shots, which Ayesha took, but Anum straightaway refused.

Suddenly, the sound of gunshots pierced the air, abruptly silencing the music. Panic ensued as the crowd scattered, frantically trying to escape the unforeseen danger.

Anum tightly closed her eyes, offering silent prayers for her and everybody else's safety, her heart pounding within her chest. Tears streamed down her face.

In an unexpected twist, someone forcefully turned her around, delivering a harsh slap that knocked her to the ground. The pain resonated, and without looking up, she identified the assailant by the familiar-strong cologne that lingered in the air - a grim recognition of the person standing above her, accompanied by the all-too-familiar sting of repeated slaps.

Irtaza roughly pulled her up by her hair, compelling her to meet his gaze. Her frightened, tearful eyes locked onto his fiercely angry, dark ones, creating a tense and distressing moment.

"You haven't merely disobeyed me; you've committed a sin."

"Aur is jurm ki saza se tujhe koi nahi bacha sakta," he stated in a deep, rough voice, causing Anum to whimper in pain and fear." (And no one can save you from the punishment of this crime.)

With that, he seized her wrist in a grip as unyielding as steel and dragged Anum outside, escorted by his armed guards.

Anum cried out at the sight of blood splattered on the floor as they walked past.

Regret flooded Anum's thoughts, "I shouldn't have come here. It's all my fault."