38

Anum expected to see fear on Irtaza's face as she pressed the gun against his chest, but all she got in return was a smug smile as he looked back at her.

"Getting smarter, aren't we?"

Her hands shook as she clutched the gun tightly with both hands.

"Go ahead, shoot me, Jaan. If I can kill for you, I can die for you too."

She took a few steps back, breathing heavily while pointing the gun toward him.

"Shoot me, baby. Why are you backing off now?"

In the next moment, his smile wiped off as Anum pointed the gun towards herself.

"I'm not like you, Irtaza. I will never become like you."

"Anum!" He tried to inch towards her.

"Don't come close to me! I'll kill myself."

"Fuckk." He cursed himself for forgetting to put the safety back on the gun.

"What the fuck are you doing? It's not a toy! You don't even fucking know how to use it."

"Even I'm not a toy! I'm not a toy for everyone to treat however they want."

"Are you trying to hurt yourself because of that fucking bastard? I'll fucking kill that asshole."

"Then kill yourself first. He did wrong by me, but you didn't do right by me either. You have ruined me." Tears were streaming down her face.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, "Baby, put the gun down. Let's go inside the home, we'll talk."

His heart pounded rapidly in his chest. For the first time, he felt immense fear. Being in the mafia came with its dangers, and he had faced death numerous times without hesitation. But today, fear coursed through his veins like never before; the fear of losing her.

He gulped as his eyes remained fixated on the gun positioned against her temple; one pull of the trigger, and her brains would blow up.

"What do you want, baby? Just tell me, and it'll be right at your feet."

"I want a divorce from you. I don't want to live with you." She felt immense power as if everything were under her control.

He fisted his hands, trying to suppress his anger."Except this. I can give you everything except letting go of you."

"Y-you say you love me, but no. You don't love me. You don't love me at all. You don't even know what love is."

"Of course, I love you.

"Then let me go. Open this gate."

"Okay, I'll open it. Just put the gun down, please."

"Liar. You're a liar. A rapist. And you don't have any shame about that."

He gritted his teeth in silence, he did not want to say anything that would trigger her. The fear of losing her was greater than his ego, his pride.

"Could you tell me? Do you have any regrets?"

"No. I don't regret any single thing I've done."

She shook her head in disappointment as she pressed her finger on the trigger.

"PLEASE, NO!" He fell to his knees, just as the clouds burst and rain began to pour heavily.

"You can kill me, but please don't hurt yourself. I would rather die than lose you."

He was ready to die in her hands, but he would not let her go as long as he was alive.

"Kill you and then what? Become a cold-blooded killer like you who only knows how to destroy people's lives. You're not even sorry about anything!"

"I'm sorry. If it's going to make you put the gun down, then I'm sorry."

She scoffed at him, "And what exactly are you sorry for? For marrying me forcefully? For beating me? For raping me? Or for humiliating me?"

"I'm sorry for everything."

"You're not! But if you are, then prove it. Let me go."

"Okay, I'll open the gate. But where will you go? Didn't you say your father's health is not good? Then why do you want to give him stress? Do you think he'll be able to live if his daughter gets divorced?"

It's a tough reality. Where could she possibly go? She can't turn to her parents or any of her relatives. Plus, she doesn't even have any money to rent out a hotel.

Sobbing, she threw the gun away and fell to her knees. Both of them were drenched in the rain.

"I married you not just because I love you, but because I knew he wasn't right for you. I'm not saying I'm any better—I am a terrible man, a deviant beyond repentance who has a place reserved in hell—but I would never cheat on you, my love."

"I'm the only one who will never leave you and stop loving you. Give me a chance, please. I want to work out this marriage. I never lie; I'm still on my promise, I haven't raised my hands on you since that day. And I promise to not make love to you without your consent"

His heart clenched as he saw her crying bitterly, hiding her face in her palms.

Anum jerked as she felt him picking her up. Panic arose in her; what would he do with her now?  Her sobs grew louder as he carried her into the house and their bedroom. Sure, she felt a lot better after getting everything off of her chest. But now, the brave Anum has vanished, and the cowardly Anum has returned.

She looked up at him with pleading eyes as he laid her down on the bed and began to undress her. Just five minutes ago, he said he wouldn't touch her without her consent, but he's already broken his word. Sniffing, she turned her head to the other side, closing her eyes. The only emotions he can elicit from her are disgust and hatred.
Her eyes opened as she noticed him gently patting her body dry with the towel.

"You're shivering."Dressing her in warm, comfortable clothes, he covered her with a duvet.

After some time, he also slipped into bed after changing his clothes. Anum's body stiffened as he pulled her closer to him.

"Relax. I won't do anything without your consent, but that doesn't mean I cannot kiss or sleep with my wife in my arms."