One| Migration

Empangeni

It was a rainy day when it was Mxolisi's mother and father's funeral on Saturday. Mxolisi couldn't cry because he was in denial with the truth of his parent's death. After the funeral was over Mxolisi went home with his aunt Mary. It was the start of the year and now Mxolisi had to move in with his aunt in Midrand, a big city. 

Mary's desires was to have a child but she couldn't due to infertility.

Mxolisi packed his clothes. "You'll be fine my boy this things happens and all we have to do is keep on moving on," said Mary. Mxolisi took his father's art work and his mother's beads. He wanted to cry but couldn't. Mary came closer to him and said, "It's fine to cry, you don't have to hold your tears because you think you're strong."

[Mxolisi sobbing]

He was quiet and he just went to bed. Mary switched off the lights and stood next to Mxolisi. "We will leave tomorrow morning," she said.

Early in the morning Mxolisi woke up, took a bath, ate and he waited for his aunt. When Mary woke, she was shocked to see Mxolisi done with everything. "Morning aunt," Mxolisi greeting.

"Morning boy, I see you're ready," she responded.

Mary took a bath and she didn't eat. They took the bags on to the car and Mxolisi looked his home. "We have a long journey and I still have to find you a new school, so let's go," Mary said. They had a long way and Mxolisi couldn't stop thinking about his parents.

Midrand 

They arrived very late and Mary's house was soo big, Mxolisi couldn't believe it. Mary opened the door and they took the bags from the car. "Aunt when am I starting at school?" Mxolisi asked. 

"Tomorrow I'm going to apply for you then I'll be able to tell you when. Oh you can unpack in the morning," Mary responded. Mxolisi looked stressed. "Don't worry my boy you'll be just fine with me and you'll be in the good school," she said.

"Do they play soccer," Mxolisi asked.

[Mary chuckled]"You'll see on your own, I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise. I'm really tired, let's eat and then I'll go to sleep." They ate and after Mary said, "you're home, your new home and tomorrow when I'm back I want us to go, buy you new clothes and of course uniform." Mary went to sleep and Mxolisi picked a room. He couldn't sleep so he went downstairs to watch television. 

Early in the morning, Mary woke up and saw Mxolisi sleeping on the couch. She prepared herself and left. Later Mxolisi woke up, bath, ate, unpacked his clothes and took a tour around the house. He took bread plastics, made it a ball and he played outside alone. He played until he was tired and went to watch television until Mary came.

Mary said, "Afternoon boy."

"Afternoon aunt," Mxolisi replied.

Mary gave Mxolisi a key to his locker in school. "You've been accepted and you're lucky because that school is all about sport so you're in, "Mary said. Mxolisi hugged Mary and they left, they went to buy clothes.