CHAPTER TEN

Page count: 10

Hermione slowly and quietly made her way through the building and to the last known destination of the hunter since checking the occupants of the building. Her wand was gripped tightly in her hand, her mind listing off the appropriate Shielding Charms and her eyes carefully searching her surroundings should someone try to jump out at her and take her by surprise.

She moved through the corridor and came to a door on the right. When she opened it and shot a ball of light into the room, it was to see it looking like an office space and the room being unoccupied. She left the door cracked open so she would be able to hear if someone were to shut it or open it further to get inside.

She moved to the room on the left, opening the door and firing in lighting to see a filing room and it was also empty. The third room was on the left and looked to contain stacked office equipment of packaged desks and chairs, and it was empty. The fourth room was on the right wall and when she opened the door and shot a ball of light inside, it was to see another office, only this one looked to have been moved around.

The desk that had once been on the left wall as soon as you walked into the room, was now on the back wall and the table that had been on the right wall was now beside the desk and tipped on its side, looking like a shield of sorts. She felt her hairs stand up on end and her instincts were warning her to be careful. She cancelled all lighting in the room and silently crept inside, making sure to check behind the door for anyone hiding.

She slowly made her way towards the small barricade and as she was almost there and without being detected, growls and howls and snarls suddenly sounded in the building, echoing and the sound travelling to her on the opposite side of the storage facility.

The sounds told her that Derek and James had found their target and a fight had broken out and she sent a quick pray to Merlin and the Founder's that they'd be alright. The silence in the room was broken moments after, a shuffling being heard before a gunshot sounded and being unable to see in the dark room, she ducked to the ground in hopes of it missing her.

Not feeling any pain or injuries, she knew she hadn't been hit and while on the floor, she took a moment to calm herself, centre her magic and then she cast one of the strongest shields she had in her repertoire, knowing from experience that it would and could defend against bullets but not for long periods of time.

"Protego Totalum," she muttered, the shield covering the top half of her body as she slowly stood up, hearing gunshots continuing to go off but knowing they wouldn't hit her for the time being, but it reminded her she had to be quick.

She pushed more of her magic into the shield; making it so it covered the entirety of the front of her body so she was no longer at risk of taking a bullet to her legs. She moved forward towards the barricade before she ducked down in front of the table and she crawled around behind it.

"Expelliarmus," Hermione muttered, when she heard the sound of the clip being reloaded and the gun flew from the hunter's hand and into hers. "Stupefy," she said, the stunner hitting Dexter in the chest and she heard the thud as he fell to the floor.

Knowing he was detained for now, Hermione sent a ball of light up into the air, providing enough lighting in the room that she could see bullet holes in the wall and door and shell casings on the ground. She turned her eyes to the hunter who looked to have been sleeping behind the barricade, a sleeping bag being laid out on the ground and a back pack being used as a pillow.

Hermione levitated Dexter until he was sitting up against the wall and she cast an Incarcerous to ensure he couldn't escape. She then checked him for any more weapons and found a silver knife and two other hand guns, before she moved them far out of reach.