CHAPTER TWELVE

Page count: 9

The next morning found Hermione waking up to being surrounded by warmth, but it was comforting given the slight draught in the room as the window had been cracked open at some point during the night, obviously Derek's doing.

Hermione lifted her head and looked around to see Crookshanks and Magic both curled up at the end of her bed, snuggled together and sleeping while the early morning sun shone through the curtains and bathed a patch on the floor.

She felt Derek shift behind her as he slowly woke from sleep and his grip on her automatically tightened, pulling her back against him and his nose burying in her neck.

"Morning," she said, sighing softly when he nudged her hair back from her neck and nuzzled at the spot.

"Hmm," he hummed in reply. "How'd you sleep?"

"Perfect," she answered.

"I suppose I did wear you out," he muttered and she lifted her hand to slap at the arm that was thrown over her waist and pressed to her stomach.

"Shut it," she warned, but there was no malice in her tone.

She tried to shuffle free from his hold but he held tighter. She huffed in annoyance and gripped onto his arm, lifting it from her waist, only for him to wrap it back around her.

"Bloody hell, Derek, will you let go? I'm not going anywhere, I just need to stretch," she rolled her eyes.

He muttered something but she wasn't able to hear or understand him, but he did release her from his hold. She rolled onto her back and lifted her arms above her head and stretched her body out, her back making a satisfying 'clicking' sound and she sighed, brushing her hair out of her face and then dropping her arms onto her stomach, staring up at the ceiling.

"So, are you going to tell me how you got your scars?" He asked, propping himself up on his elbow and one hand slipping under the blanket to splay across her stomach.

She wondered if it was a wolf thing, him wanting to touch her stomach all the time because he did it at every opportunity that he was presented with, especially since the day she'd healed him and they revealed their true feelings towards each other.

At his words her entire body went rigid and he shifted his eyes to her face, frowning slightly.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, I'm just curious about the situations you were in that resulted in such injuries," he spoke. "It might help me to better understand everything that you were forced to face."

She breathed out and closed her eyes, before titling her to the side to look at him.

"I'll make you a deal," she said. "If I tell you and you show a single ounce of pity for me, not only will I hex you, but I'll make sure you're never able to have children."

He raised an eyebrow. "Seems a bit drastic," he replied, looking more amused with her threat than frightened. "But seeing as I've already knocked you up and my wolf-line has a successor, I'll agree to those terms."

She frowned at him. "You really want to know how I got my scars that badly that you'll willingly risk the chance of never being able to have another child?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Guess I do,"

"You know it's not a bluff, right? I really would do it."

"I know, especially with your hormones acting up, you're more likely to do it now than you were before," he said.

Her frown deepened before she shook her head and then turned to look back up at the ceiling.

"The small burn on my right shoulder, I got it during the Final Battle that ended the war. I was hit by a rogue Incendio, it's basically a ball of fire. You know the mark on my right forearm is from when I was bitten by a werewolf. The small collection of little scars by my right hip, I received them during the time that my friends and I were fugitives. The last year of the war we were forced to flee due to Voldemort not only taking over Hogwarts and killing Dumbledore, but he took control of our government and we were the three most wanted fugitives in the world. We survived in the wild for the better part of a year while trying to finish the mission given to us to destroy Voldemort once and for all. My friend, Harry, he walked into a trap and in order to save his life, I pushed the both of us out of a two story window. The scars are from the window glass shattering."