CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Page count: 10

Two weeks later...

The last two weeks had been wonderful for Hermione. Not only was she happy with her job, with her blooming relationship with Derek, but she was happy with her life, too. Genuinely happy, and she couldn't remember a time when she'd felt such happiness.

Since her return from her visit to Britain, she and Derek had grown closer, he'd taken her on several dates, one of which involved a walk along the beach as they watched the sunset and Magic bounded across the sand happily, and another being bowling since he'd learned she'd loved it as a child. Of course he'd beaten her by a landslide, but she didn't allow her loss at the game to put a damper on the night.

And since her return, in the last two weeks she'd caught the trail of three potential supernatural cases, two were confirmed to be muggle but the last one had seen Hermione tracking a dementor that had escaped the Wizarding World and taking care of it, and giving how happy she was in her life, casting her patronus had been one of the easiest things she'd ever done.

Hermione was now fifteen weeks pregnant and she was convinced her stomach was growing by the day, and Hermione had to go out and purchase more jeans and bottoms as she was no longer able to magically alter her other ones without ruining the fabric. She couldn't understand why her stomach was so big given she wasn't even half way through the pregnancy, but then she wasn't sure if she actually was that big, or if it just appeared as such because she had a small frame. In any case, Derek loved seeing her baby bump growing, it being evidence of their child developing and being one step closer to being in their arms. Most of the time she had to bat his hands away as all he wanted to do was touch her, and touch her he did.

They were now currently sat in the diner, Hermione and Derek sitting opposite each other and with Magic laid partially on the bench and partially over Derek's lap. They'd been chatting comfortably as they waited for their food to arrive and the moment it did Hermione tucked into it, pulling a snort from her official boyfriend of three weeks.

He'd ordered a cheese burger and fries with a vanilla milkshake, where she had opted for a chicken pot pie with mash potato, gravy and a chocolate milkshake, and halfway through eating she paused and titled her head to the side, looking at his place with a thoughtful look on her face.

"What is it?" He asked her with a raised eyebrow.

She bit her lip before she reached over and stole one of his fries from his plate and dipped it into her chocolate milkshake. He pulled a face at her actions and she made a noise of surprise, her eyes widening.

"Merlin, that's amazing, you've got to try that," she told him, dipping the fry back into her milkshake.

"No, thanks," he replied.

"What? It all goes to the same place anyway and it's surprisingly good," she spoke, before sipping from her milkshake, her eyes locked on his plate. "You wanna do a swap?" She asked.

He looked down to his half eaten food and then over to hers, amusement filling him at the way she wasn't looking at him, but at his plate. He wasn't a big fan of chicken pot pie but he'd never been able to refuse her anything, especially as she was carrying his baby, so without thought he swapped their plates around and chuckled at her when she picked up several fries and dipped them into her milkshake, putting them in her mouth while she removed the top slice of the bun from the rest of the cheese burger, filled it with fries and then put the bun back on and taking a large bite.

"You're strange," he commented amused.

"You're one to talk, you're like a human sniffer dog," she retorted around a mouthful of food and he snorted at her. She lifted her milkshake to take a sip from the glass, when she caught sight of two familiar faces entering the diner, and one of them looked very confused.