10: Rest And See Hell

3rd person pov:

As days turn to week four. Keigo only sees the nameless man for an hour a day. He walks in to minister meditation, check on injuries, and change bandages on the ronin. He doesn't talk much. Only enough to scold the blonde for getting up for his attempts at a morning ritual. Then he leaves just as fast as he arrives.

Even though it's short. Keigo enjoys the company.

On Keigo's last night of bed rest. Something strange happened. The place grew quiet. As private guests enter the establishment.

Keigo sees jiro, mono, and the masked man hiding in his room.

Kei:"What's going on?"

The man puts a finger to his lips. So jiro whispers.

Jiro:"The shogunate has ordered that man to serve those of high rank till death. Only they are allowed into his room. Madam midnight breaks the rules by letting him out for an hour a day because she feels bad for him. When they come for him. It never ends well. As most have dangerous fetishes. With each time they come. They pay off one of the girls just for a night with him."

As keigo sits up to grab his weapon. Momo puts her hand on his forehead to stop him.

Momo:"You don't want to get involved. Best to rest. They'll be gone by morning."

Keigo grits his teeth. Knowing that he's too weak to do anything about it. Then they hear chains rattling.

Everyone covers their ears except keigo. That's when he hears chuckles before a loud, soul shattering cry rings out.

Keigo uses the blanket to try and quiet the sounds, but they ring out in his mind. Never to go away.

When morning comes. The men leave and pay up. Once they're out of sight. Keigo stands up and walks out of the room.

Mid:"I need your help. Could you deliver these things to his room for me? I fear that he wouldn't want to see any of us right now."

Keigo takes the tray and walks it to the basement. The light is dim, but it's enough to get to the door.

Keigo opens the window of the door to slide the food, medication, needle,  thread, and a key to him.

A foot pulls the tray inside. After a few clicks. Metal clanks ring out. Then his unbandaged hand reaches out to ask for a brush to write with.

Keigo pulls one out of his robes and ink. He then offers his palm to write on.

Kei:"That way, there's no trace."

The man writes only two words.

<kill me.>

Keigo sees it and backs away. That's when keigo sees blue eyes looking at him through the bars up top. They are devoid of hope.

Kei:^It's isn't right to kill, but this..... this is a merciful death.^

Keigo nods and leaves the room.

Mid:"What happened?"

Kei:"He'll no longer suffer after tonight. I've been hired by him."

Mid:"I understand. Before you go through with it. Meet me at the docks just after sunset. I'll set up your supplies for your journey."

Keigo nods and stands guard during the day. He hears word spread in the workers. So he sighs heavy. Knowing that his blade will get dirty with innocent blood.

When the time comes. Keigo walks through the fog to the docks. That's when he sees a man wearing a kasa waiting for him.

Mid:"We decided to help you both out. Hopefully, the payment will be enough for the job."

Confused, keigo opens the chest on the boat to see the payment of the men that came.

Jiro:"instead of buying me out. This should go to you for protection. Take care you two."

Keigo looks back to see blue eyes peek out of the kasa. So with a smile. He bows and steps on board the boat.

Mid:"Safe travels."

Kei:"Won't you get into trouble when they find out?"

Magne:"Oh honey. We can find a corpse to act as him. So don't you worry your pretty little head. We always take care of ourselves. Now go before the fog lifts."

Without another word spoken. They head off. Being sure to stay quiet. As they see another boat approaching. The boat belongs to the shogunate himself.

Once at the docks. Two men walk off the ship. Aizawa stands behind the man in the oni mask.

Mid:"we weren't expecting special guests so soon. How may we serve you?"

Aiz:"We're here for the ronin. We know you've been hiding him. Our informate told us."

Mid:"He left for kyoto with the nameless one."

Chisaki:"If that is true. The shogunate is in danger. We must return before it's too late."

As they walk back to the ship. Chisaki whispers to aizawa.

Chis:"Leave no witness. This can't get back to enji todoroki. Otherwise, our plans have failed."

Aiz:"If that old fool had just killed keigo. None of this would've happened."

Chis:"We might still be able to use him though. Let him find the crumbs. We'll lead him to the palm of our hands. Then crush him when the time is right."