12: The Boy And His Fate

3rd person pov:

Dabi looks and sees keigo running away. With an angry click of the tungue. Dabi helps the old lady back into her house. Then, he sets her on the bed. One quick glance, and he can see the real reason why she isn't doing well.

An old pot with a rusted handle, one broken dresser with two filthy outfits, rice basket that's been patched together, and a single painting of her and keigo.

When dabi picks up the painting. The lady speaks.

"That was made shortly before he left home. You see, his smile used to be so bright."

She begins to tell about what happened.

Since Keigo's father was a general of enji's enemy, and the last in command of the army left alive. He was given a choice. Death or offer his son as a political hostage. Seeing an opportunity.  He gave over keigo without hesitation. When his wife found out. She spent as much time with her son as she had left. They would play outside together like hide n seek, or tag. Once she found out that enji's men were on the way. She spent money for a painter to come draw them together. That's when Keigo's mother was beaten by her husband for spending his coin. Keigo tried to stop him but was cast out of the house for the night without dinner. When the child woke up. Samurai were standing over him and were restraining him. As he called out to his mom. He saw her looking out of the window. Only for her gaze to look away. While his father smiled with glee at the gold, he was being paid for his son.

"That night he threatened to kill us both unless I stopped coddling him. After keigo was gone. That asshole soon left town without notice. I got the news that my baby was gonna die in his place. So I tracked him down. I found him sleeping in a brothal in Osaka. So I stabbed him to death. Then I found out my sweet baby was saved by the shogunate's oldest son. So I returned home. In hopes someday he would return. Even when my body is give out. I still tend to those flowers because they are his favorite. Since they are rare to find around here. I did what I could to get the seeds."

She shows her leg and a scar from her hiking for those seeds.

"Ever since I got this. My health has gone down. When I leave this world behind. Promise me you'll take care of him for me. I know he's mad now, but I hope in time. Those thorns around his heart will go away. "

There's a knock on the door. Then the village doctor walks in.

Aoyama:"I heard you fell again. So I've come to treat you."

"I have no money to pay you though."

Aoy:"No worries. Someone has already paid for your personal treatment.  My nurse will take care of you and you alone from now on."

Ojiro walks in with medication.

Ojiro:"I'm the apothecary here. This'll help with your pain."

Then, the nurse walks in. He is huge and ducts to enter the house.

Satou:"We can handle it from here. She's in good hands."

When dabi walks outside. He sees keigo walking away and planting a new seed.

Dabi:"What are you up to."

Kei:"Pink is her favorite color."

Dabi:"Are you going to see her?"

Kei:"No, but I don't intend to leave without thanking her. I'll need some help though."

Dabi:"What's the mission?"

The day turned to night, and Keigo's mom started to get better. So she ate for the first time in days. After resting. She woke up to the sun in her face. So she walks outside. That's when her eyes water with joy. As she sees pink and yellow flowers in the field. By the door is a painting with a note. The painting is of her as a commit holding a baby moon. She then reads the note.

<The dark was cold once.
Now I know the warmth of love.
Sending mine to you.>

She clutches the gifts and begins to cry.

Elsewhere, dabi yawns.

Dabi:"Didn't think it would take that long. Looks like we'll be without sleep again."

Keigo stretches as he walks.

Kei:"Worth it. Now let's find somewhere to camp."

Both go off the trail and deep into the woods to take turns keeping watch while the other naps.

As keigo sleeps. Dabi hears rustling of bushes nearby. Then he sees someone coming. Before he could wake keigo. Someone grabs dabi from behind. He then finds himself separated from the ronin and forced onto his knees by two men.

Natsu:"Good to see you again, older brother."

Dabi huffs and glares up at natsuo.

Dabi:"What do you want? Have you come to finish me off?"

Natsu:"I'm here to warn you. The enemy isn't what you're being lead to believe."

Dabi:"I'm well aware. Now let me go."

The men release dabi and let him stand.

Natsu:"They're leading keigo into a trap. So please try to help him see the real threat before it's too late."

Dabi:"whatever."

As dabi starts walking away. Natsuo grabs his shoulder.

Natsu:"I'm serious. Mic isn't the enemy."

Dabi:"Don't worry. I'll keep him on track to the real threat."

Dabi's glare states who he doesn't trust.

Natsu:"I'll I want is to help. Father doesn't know the truth because it's being hidden from him."

Dabi:"I'm well aware. That's why I'll settle this with my own hands. Head home. The forrest isn't a place for those of high Station such as yourself."

When dabi returns. Natsuo is long gone. Then they switch out. When dabi wakes up. He smells food cooking. That's when he sees Keigo cooking by a camp fire.

Kei:"After we eat. We'll head out. By sunset tomorrow. We'll be at mic's estate."

Dabi:"are you sure about attacking him? He doesn't sound like our guy."

Kei:"Then tell me. Who attacked you?"

Dabi's eyes widen.

Dabi:"When did you-"

Keigo:"I knew after a saw the ink by the bath. Looks like we ran away together after all master."