06: innocent

[before episode 1

[before episode 1.1]

January 17, 2009

THAT SATURDAY, I finally snuck out of the house with Elena after being monitored 24/7 by my parents after the fainting spell on Tuesday.

Elena didn't know everything. I mean, neither did I, but she was much more in the dark than I was. She thought our parents were just being overprotective because I'd fainted.

Even though we both loved our parents, we had both been on the receiving end of their overprotectiveness in the past, so I knew Elena understood my frustrations.

So, when she was leaving to go see Matt with our parents' blessing, she helped me to discreetly climb down the trellis outside my window, and then she played lookout for us to both disappear over the fence at the back of the house. As far as I knew, we'd gotten away unnoticed.

"Be careful," Elena said warily before we parted ways behind sweet Miss O'Leary's house. "If you feel yourself getting faint again, call an ambulance, okay?"

I nodded. "It won't happen though. The doctor said it was low blood sugar and stress last time, and I'm super hydrated and nourished today."

Elena glanced at me warily one last time before wrapping her arms around my shoulders in a warm hug. "Have fun today."

"I will," I said, unsure if it was true but determined to convince her of it anyway.

She didn't say anything more at this confident proclamation and backed away from me. She giggled when Matt started calling her and gave me a two-finger salute before turning around and putting her phone to her ear.

I quickly ducked back towards Caroline's neighborhood but made sure to avoid her house.

Elena thought Caroline and I were hanging out while her mom was on duty, and Caroline thought I was sneaking out to see a boy, so she was covering for me.

I felt bad, lying to both of them, but it was for the best. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to them because of my involvement with this vampire stuff.

"How are you feeling today?"

I shrugged but tried to smile. Everything felt messy and weird, but I was trying to focus on the positives of the situation.

I knew dad still cared about me and my safety.

Mom still treated me with her gentle kindness and shared her warm smiles with me.