16: sweet nothing

[episode 1

[episode 1.1]

September 7, 2009

THAT SUMMER was not a pretty time in my life. In fact, it was definitely my ugliest season to date.

Fraught with rumors of me going insane after my parents' death—which were certainly not helped by my unabashed questioning of the Founders' Council members about vampires—it was a season of loneliness and even shame at times.

Being alone wasn't all bad though.

I learned to cook and bake that summer, and I fell in love with painting. I watched 10 Things I Hate About You at least four times a week (sometimes with Aunt Jenna but usually by myself).

I also got a new therapist. She was a kind woman who lived in Blossom Creek, one of neighboring towns. I liked that she knew nothing about me. She was my personified clean slate. My do-over from Dr. Maxfield, who only ever focused on Enzo.

Even though I did everything in my power to pretend he wasn't there, I started to accept Enzo's presence again and trusted his judgment more every day.

I liked having him around. He didn't ask for too much, which was good because most days, I had nothing left to give.

He was just there. There to whisper soothing words every time I woke up sobbing from a nightmare. There to listen quietly whenever I wept over my parents' death. There to help me find my strength again every time I crumbled.

Despite how much he comforted me, Enzo and I never talked about what happened with Cale.

I had a feeling he knew, even if he'd never explicitly said so. The unfamiliar anger I experienced that night felt like proof because even now, I looked on that night with terror, shame, and bottomless despair, but rarely did I feel anger over what happened to me.

I often wanted to ask him if such a thing were possible. Could he be communicating his emotions to me as well? I never knew how to bring it up though, so it stayed in the dark.

"Hey," Jeremy said, poking his head into my room. "Are you driving us to school today?"

Every time I thought about that day and what Cale had done, I remembered how Jeremy so quickly seemed to despise Cale, as if he knew, even through the high, that Cale was bad news. In the days after that event, I frequently wished I'd listened to him.

"Hello?" Jeremy waved a hand in front of my face. "Earth to Margot?"

I blinked. "Sorry." I cleared my throat and smiled at him. "Yeah, I can drive. Is Elena riding with us?"

Jeremy shrugged. "How should I know?"

I shrugged in return. "Could you ask?"

He rolled his eyes and left my room without giving me a response. I figured he would ask her, but I couldn't be sure. Jeremy was angry a lot of the time now.