15: how do i say goodbye?

[TW: vague depiction of unwanted sexual contact/sexual assault, parental death, panic attack]

May 23, 2009

AFTER THEY LEFT, Jeremy promptly followed suit, completely ignoring their command and my questioning. He wouldn't tell me where he was going, but he didn't try to take any keys with him, so I assumed he was going on foot.

I was stressed about his absence, and I knew I was doing a crappy job as an oldest sister. Elena was stranded at some party, and Jeremy had snuck out while high, and I was just sitting around with my boyfriend.

Shouldn't I have been out trying to make sure they were safe? Shouldn't I have been chasing after Jeremy to keep him out of harm's way? How did he even get drugs?

My thoughts were swirling. I thought that was why Cale dragged me to the couch and threw a blanket over us. He was probably trying to calm me down or distract me.

I smiled gratefully at him. He was good at taking care of me.

"Why don't we watch something? You know, I think a new episode of Grey's Anatomy came out," he suggested.

I weakly smiled. "That's more of a show Elena likes," I said. "I tend to be more into the cheesy stuff like Buffy or Sabina the Teenage Witch."

An incredulous laugh fell from his lips so quickly that it seemed to shock us both.

I pouted. "What's wrong with Buffy and Sabrina?"

"Nothing," he said. He quickly picked up the remote. "We can watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer." A smile played at his lips. "I had no idea I knew someone else who loved this show as much as me."

My smile nearly split my face in two. "No kidding?"

He nodded. His eyes were trained on the TV to find the right station.

I stared at him in admiration as he flipped through the channels until he finally found our new shared interest. As he turned up the volume and settled back into the couch, I leaned into his side and snuggled up to watch the show.

Cale started to trace his hand along my hip, and I tensed.

"Are you Team Angel or Team Spike?" I asked, scooting away a fraction.

Cale pursed his lips and shrugged. "I can see the appeal of both."

I nodded. "Yeah, I get that completely," I put my hand on my chin and watched as Spike and Buffy had another heated conversation on screen. "I think I wish I had sort of a combination of the two. Spike's snarky personality and Angel's gentleness for Buffy."