13: haunted

[before episode 1

[before episode 1.1]

May 2, 2009

CALE AND I had been dating for over a month now, and Elena had finally convinced me to have a double date with her and Matt.

I was thrilled about the idea at first, don't get me wrong, but now that we were getting ready together in her bathroom, a ball of nerves had settled in my stomach, and I was starting to second guess everything.

"Are you sure my outfit isn't too bright?" I stared hard at my orange, white, pink semi-coordinated outfit and scrutinized each piece.

I knew I was being silly deep down—I loved the outfit truly—but I was slowly learning that every new experience with Cale scared me. It was like learning how to swim in the middle of the ocean with him sometimes, and I wondered when I was going to finally get the hang of this thing.

"Margot..." Elena chuckled.

"Sorry," I laughed. "I know, I know. I look cute."

"Exactly."

We both got quiet again while I worked on my hair and Elena put on her mascara. She had gently put on her radio to a soft pop station while we got ready, and I liked how most of the songs were about love.

Speaking of which, Cale didn't like romcoms—he said they were too tacky. I had never been so determined to change his mind in my life.

At least Matt usually would stomach watching romcoms with me. I thought that he secretly liked them more than Elena did, although I know Mr. Football Star would never admit it.

"What if Matt and Cale don't get along?" I asked suddenly, setting down the hair straightener with this realization. Although they knew of each other through Tyler Lockwood, the pair hadn't actually spoken before.

Elena looked pointedly at me and sighed. I threw my hands up helplessly. "Look, you have to let me have some fears. I think I'll die before I stop worrying."

"You're helpless sometimes," Elena teased, shaking her head and turning back to the mirror. "The boys will get along just fine. And if they don't..." Elena shrugged.

I noticed belatedly that she wasn't smiling much.

"Is something wrong with you and Matt?"

She glanced at me out of the corner of her eye quickly before she grew even more quiet.

"Oh."