17: greek god

[episode 1

[episode 1.1]

September 7, 2009

"DID YOU HEAR the news about Margot?"

My third period teacher was late to class, and it meant that the students were all left to their own devices. In their search for a way to entertain themselves, teenagers in Mystic Falls' favorite vice was gossip. 

"Yeah, I heard she's gone crazy."

"Her parents' dying sent her over the deep end."

I sunk down into my seat.

Never had I wished more strongly to have been held back a year, so that I could have had more classes with my friends. Even if they didn't say anything to the gossipers, it at least would have made it more bearable to have them with me.

"She's so brave for coming back here." Sarcasm and judgment colored all of their words.

"Brave? Are you kidding me?" another classmate bit out. "She deserves it after what she did to Cale Whitmore."

I flinched so hard that my textbook flew straight off my desk and onto the floor. All the gossiping took a dramatic pause as they turned to stare at me.

I smiled sheepishly. "Sorry."

They all ignored me and soon resumed their whispers, quieter this time. I sighed and leaned down to pick up the textbook from the floor. A few of my classmates snickered as I did. I heard whispers about drugs and hippie clothes and my parents mixed into the murmurs.

I was staring at the doorway and wishing Mrs. Peterson would get to class already when I felt like someone was looking at me.

I looked to my left—the opposite direction of the whisperers—and saw an attractive man with shaggy black hair that fell into his eyes standing along the wall of the classroom watching me with an intensity that made my breath catch in my throat. 

I stared back, trying to make sense of who this stranger was and why he was looking at me, but he disappeared during a blink.

With conflicting feelings and shaking hands, I swept all of my belongings into my arms and immediately made a beeline for the door. In response to my hasty exit, my classmates' whispers grew frenzied. They saw it as all the more proof that I was crazy and didn't belong here.

"Enzo," I whispered under my breath as soon as the door shut behind me. "Please tell me you're there."

"What's wrong, Margot?"

"Have you been here all day?" I asked while booking it down the empty hallway toward the exit of the school.

"Yes," he said. "I've been able to see you all day."