08: where's my love

[before episode 1

[before episode 1.1]

February 21, 2009

THE PANIC ATTACKS were probably the worst side effect of Enzo's month-long silence. That, and having to hide these episodes from my parents.

I had been taking the supplement from Dr. Maxfield every day. It was kind of gross and tasted like I was eating bitter dirt, but it made my dad happy when I took it, so I made sure to be consistent with it. At that point, I was desperate enough to do anything to get a little more space from them, and taking these supplements seemed to do just that.

Still, part of me was terrified that this supplement could be the reason I couldn't hear Enzo anymore, although that was a favorable explanation to some of the others I'd been coming up with as I laid awake for hours every night.

Had he been tortured beyond comprehension?

Did they kill him?

As his silence dragged on, I started getting superstitious, trying anything I could think of to make him come back.

At night, I'd sit in my bedroom's window seat and stare at the night sky for hours, waiting to see a shooting star I could wish on.

I picked up every single face-up coin I found on the sidewalk.

Every fallen eyelash led to a pleading, whispered prayer.

And I even tried to flush ice down the toilet in a moment of desperation, just in case that old snow day trick could work with supernatural creatures too.

Despite all of these efforts, the weeks still crawled by without so much as a sigh from Enzo, and I hated it. I hated all of it.

I didn't know when I'd gotten so attached to him, but without his sarcastic comments and little chuckles, I realized how lonely I was.

When had I gotten so lonely?

"Hey," Elena said, popping her head into my room and effectively jarring me from the day's ruminations, "do you want to go with the group of us to the Grill?"

It was after 11 AM that Saturday, and I still hadn't left my bed yet, to my whole family's dismay. Everyone assumed I was sick, but I reassured them all I was only tired.

Truthfully though, I felt lost.

I knew Enzo was real. His friendship and kindness were real. His warm chuckles and flirtatious personality were real. All of the nights spent lying awake, whispering to him, were real. And my certainty that he was real and now possibly dead had gutted me like nothing I'd ever experienced before.

Because right when I'd started to lose hope in magic, he'd appeared in my life, and now...he was gone.

Elena sat down on the edge of my bed when I didn't answer, and I blinked tiredly at her, unsure how to answer. Even though I put on a front of being completely unbothered to the world, it was harder to pretend with Elena. She'd seen me through all of my ups and downs, and she could always see through my lies as a result.