14: happy together

[referenced in 1

[referenced in 1.1]

May 23, 2009

I'M HERE, read the incoming text from Cale early that evening, and I immediately wrung my hands together nervously.

Sure, Cale and I had been dating for almost two months now, but it still felt somehow way too soon for him to meet my parents, but it was happening nonetheless.

I flicked off my bedroom's light switch and hurried down the stairs to get to the door before my parents got to him first.

My mom noticed me rushing to the door from the kitchen down the hall and put her hands on her hips. "Is he here?" she asked, still smiling faintly despite her questioning.

I shot her an innocent smile over my shoulder just as Cale started to knock. "Would you look at that?" I grinned, motioning to the door. "You're a psychic, mom."

She laughed and rolled her eyes, disappearing into the kitchen to get a towel to wipe off her hands on. She'd been cutting strawberries for our fruit salad, and her hands were covered in their green stems and pink juice.

While she did that, I didn't waste any time whipping open the door. Cale stood there, his black hair shortened in a surprise haircut that left his hair in a buzzcut. He wore a button-up, white top and an unbuttoned blazer hung off his body with the sleeves rolled up to partially reveal his tattoos. His eyes were cold and calculated as they usually were when he watched me.

"Hi." I smiled. "Thanks for coming over."

"Of course," he said, stepping around me to come into the house and rolling his sleeves back down to his wrists. His tattoos were out of sight, just as my mom rushed in from the kitchen. Cale grinned. "Now, you didn't tell me you had another sister, Margot."

Mom's eyebrows quirked into a pleased expression. "You know how to win some brownie points," she chuckled. "I'm Miranda, Margot's mom."

She held out a hand to him, and he shook his firmly, the picture of aristocratic politeness.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Gilbert."

My dad came around the corner then, smiling guardedly at Cale, who had fortunately hidden his tattoos. Cale noticed and smiled politely. "It's nice to see you again, Mr. Gilbert."

"Again?" I asked, eyebrows furrowing.

"We've met a few times over the years," dad said passively, but I started to wonder why neither of them had decided to bring it up until now.

My dad stepped up and pulled my boyfriend in for a handshake and clapped a hand to his back. "Nice to see you again, son. I heard you're doing quite well over at Whitmore."