07: tornado warnings

[before episode 1

[before episode 1.1]

January 19, 2009

HORROR CONSUMED me as we drove to see Dr. Maxfield early that Monday morning.

To make matters worse, Enzo had been hauntingly silent all morning, and I was itching to hear his voice. To know if he was okay. To know what to do in this dumpster fire that had become my life.

Mom stayed at home, helping Elena and Jeremy get ready for school, so it was only dad and I making the journey to Whitmore College to see him.

Bitterness seemed to help provide some relief to the overwhelming fear, so I stayed completely silent and stared out the window as we drove. A couple times, dad tried to explain how all of this was meant to help me, but the emotions swirling inside me were too intense to focus on anything else. I couldn't fathom holding a conversation with him in this state.

So I didn't.

By the time we made it to dad's office, I could tell he was properly fed up with me and happy to pass me off to the creepy, blond doctor. Terror filled me as soon as I made eye contact with the man.

Although I had been upset with him all morning, at that moment, I was nearly desperate enough to plead for him to stay with me. However, he went off to his own office before I found the words.

Now left with this creepy doctor I'd only ever seen in passing, I tried to ball my hands into fists to stop their shaking, but even this seemed to capture his attention.

He nodded at my hands as we sat down in his office. "You seem angry. Are you not looking forward to being here today?"

"Oh, oh no, I'm not angry," I said, smiling politely like the good founding family daughter I was. "Just a bit nervous around strangers."

Maybe if I could convince him to look at me like a child, he would think twice about torturing me.

"Why is that?" he asked, starting to write something down in a notepad.

I tensed, wondering what I could have said that captured his attention.

"Oh, just stranger danger and all that," I said flippantly. "My mom always taught me to be cautious and polite around people I don't know."

He smiled but didn't say a word.

My insides crawled.