22: trouble

[episode 1

[episode 1.3]

September 11, 2009

I DIDN'T KNOW WHY, but I woke up that morning with an ache inside my chest that I couldn't place.

I knew I could likely blame it on the upsetting texts I'd received from Cale, but it felt like something more than that. It wasn't until I made it to school and was walking with Bonnie and Elena that I realized the ache might have been from the notable absence of Enzo in my morning routine that day.

Where was he when I was trying to decide whether I wanted to wear the leather jacket with my sundress or the platform sandals with my flaring pink pants?

I tried to pay attention to Bonnie and Elena as we drove to school, but Elena was talking about her updates with Stefan Salvatore, and I was struggling to maintain my enthusiasm over this boy talk. Caroline and I were usually Elena's cheerleaders in everything boys-related, but the fear building up inside my stomach was insistent, and I was struggling to get on board with this newest crush.

Apparently, so was Bonnie, and Elena was not happy to have someone pumping the breaks on her latest romantic venture.

"I'm not saying don't date the guy," Bonnie backtracked as we all got out. "I'm just saying take it slow."

I nodded in agreement, wincing when Elena looked at me with a look of betrayal I hadn't expected.

"You were the one who said to go for it," Elena said, sending accusatory looks Bonnie's way.

"Now I'm saying take it slow," Bonnie said with a forced nonchalance to her voice.

I raised my eyebrows curiously at this revelation. Where had this change of heart come from for her?

"Why are you making a face?" Elena laughed half-heartedly, seemingly undeterred by Bonnie's disapproval, but I could tell it bothered her deep down that Bonnie wasn't singing his praises too.

"I'm not making a face," Bonnie sighed. "You're single for the first time in your entire high school career. It's the perfect time to play the field."

Play the field? My eyebrows momentarily lifted in shock. That was definitely not Elena's game, even if we all knew she could have been that way if she wanted. Elena was chased after by many, but it took a lot to catch her eye in return.

"Oh," Elena laughed, "because I'm so that girl."

Bonnie stole a quick glance at me that unfortunately didn't escape Elena's notice.

"Seriously, what are you not saying?" she asked, grabbing onto Bonnie and making us both stop.

"It's stupid," Bonnie said.