5. Love = Hate

Y/n was sitting in the library, reading a book.
Yesterday, Kenji had spent the evening with her, watching anime.
But, at night, she finally got time to talk to the shinigami in private. He gave her the most important thing to open the death note.

The key.

"Is love important in this world?" She read the words written on the cover of the book, that caused her to practically roll her eyes.

"Ofcourse it is. What an absurd question!"

But that very question made her interest to strike up and open the book to finally read it.

As she was reading the first page of the book, a voice interrupted her.

"Hey. Y/n L/n, right?"

Her head darted towards the boy, standing across her table.

Yagami?...

She slightly smiled at him, and motioned him to sit on the chair across the table.

"Right. What makes you approach me, Light?" She asked, closing the book that she was reading.

He rubbed the back of his neck as his gaze tilted, "Actually, I came here to apologize for my girlfriend's rude behavior, yesterday. You walked away quickly so I never got the chance..."

The girl's eyes narrowed.

Apologize...?

Dark was just standing behind her, staring at the brown haired boy, when suddenly he let out a raspy cackle.

What happened to him now?...

She shook her head at the boy's words and replied, "It's totally alright. I think she's just a bit possessive over you."

A bit too possessive...

The shinigami laughed once more, hearing her words, that was annoying, for some reason, as y/n's smile twitched at the horrible sound.

But she can't show it on, that obviously.

"So, which book are you reading, by the way?" Light asked, as his gaze subtly narrowed at the book kept aside

"Tell me, Light. Do you think love is important for this world?" She asked.

Light thought for awhile, before answering, "I think, yes. But, at the same time, No...."

She heard his answer calmly, then asked, "why? "

"There are good people in the world. But, the amount of bad people are more. People, who use others for their own selfish benefits, and pleasures. Those sadists, who like watching everyone in pain.
What can be actually done to resolve this issue? Nothing. We can't do anything about this.
They don't have any love in their life, because they thrive on people's vulnerabilities, not love. What do you think keeps them going, then?....
In conclusion, this world is too rotten to be saved through the so called 'love'. It doesn't need saving, it needs fixing..."

Y/n saw light's demeanor changing, as he went on with the answer. To be honest, she was stunned to hear this from a rather popular boy, who has always been talked to nicely, by everyone.

"Now, isn't this getting a little fun...!?"

Dark chuckled dryly once again, but her focus didn't falter from the boy, sitting across her.

Too much fun, isn't it?