Chapter 3: The first time

"So, what do you do in your free time?" I ask, sipping my beer.

The living room is definitely a lot more comfortable than the kitchen. There is a carpet underneath the coffee table and multiple bookshelves against the wall. In here, the wood has a brighter color, making the whole room appear warmer. There are also picture frames that I haven't noticed before. One of them shows Wanda and Natasha at presumably their wedding day. Wanda wears a white dress and Natasha a suit that it either black or dark blue. They look very happy and also a bit younger than now, making me wonder how long they're already married.

"I don't know if you noticed the front yard with the flowers beside the walkway?" She asks back and I nod. Of course, I noticed that. It looked very neat and well taken care off.

"I like gardening and taking care of the plants. Up front, there are just flowers but, in the backyard, I have a few vegetables and fruits growing. There is nothing growing yet, I planted the seats two weeks ago but in a couple of weeks, there will be the first small plants." She tells me, clearly excited over that. It's cute and I like how passionate she sounds when talking about her plants.

"That is very impressive. I'm not good with plants. Whenever I buy one and try to keep it alive, I am disappointed because it dies after a year." I sigh, at which Wanda snickers. Her cheeks are a little rosy but I can't tell if it's from the wine, the warmth in here or for another reason.

"House plants can be a bit more difficult, indeed." She agrees and gestures to one corner where a large plant stands. It looks healthy and like it will live a lot longer than mine. But I won't give up, some day I might be able to keep a plant alive.

"You mentioned a backyard, but I haven't seen one." I say, nodding towards the windows that look outside. It's dark out there, so I can't really see anything but I'd guess there would be some kind of lighting if there is a backyard. Wanda nods and rolls her eyes.

"It is there but Natasha insists that we don't need to light it up if we don't go outside." She tells me and just by the way she is reacting, I would assume this is a topic the two of them have talked about this before. I don't say anything about it, not wanting to get involved into a discussion between them. Just because they decided to open up their marriage, doesn't mean they want intake on their garden lights from a stranger.

"What else do you have out there?" I ask. Having a garden would be a small dream come true but I can't afford that and have to be happy with the small balcony I have. It's better than nothing but a garden is the end goal.

"We got a sitting area with a barbeque near by and a pool." Wanda answers.
I nod, very impressed by that. Whatever their combined salary is, it can't be small. Having a garden big enough for a pool is already impressive but having a garden that's big enough and actually contains a pool is amazing!

"Sounds like a great place to be at during summer." I comment and Wanda nods in agreement. "Speaking of summer: when your vegetables are all grown and stuff, do you cook with them?"

She shakes her head with a small grimace. "I don't like cooking. It kind of stresses me out."
I gasp dramatically and put my free hand over my chest before leaning over to the coffee table to put my glass down. Wanda watches me in surprise but also with an amused smile. She hands me her glass as well and I put it down.

"I take from that performance that you don't agree with me?" She asks, her eyebrow raising a little.

"Yes, I couldn't disagree more. Cooking is so much fun. You get to experiment with all the ingredients and try out new recipes. And in the end you got a delicious meal to eat." I argue but Wanda doesn't seem convinced. Many people dislike cooking and view it more as a chore.