Frenemies

Amira's POV (Present)

Looking back at that moment I wish it would've lasted forever. I know we were being grown but hush. We were young and in love. He was all I wanted. And I wasn't gonna let Chanel get in my way anymore.

Amira's POV ( Flashback, End of Junior Year)

"Y'all i'm scared. What if she hates me??" I said to my girls looking nervously.

"Don't be. Honestly I don't think Chanel was ever a friend to you babe." Janae told me.

"I don't know I'm starting to see where Chanel is coming from. We spoke the other day. Just hear her out." said Olivia.

My head snapped over to Olivia. Wtf.

"You talked to Chanel without me?" I asked surprised

"I mean yeah she called me crying. What was I supposed to do?" Olivia said like she did nothing wrong.

"She calls everyone crying. She's trying to get you on her side Liv." Nae said rolling her eyes. "Was she crying when she stole Chris from Mira? Or when she lied about the slap!?" She continued.

Olivia looked down before answering softly. "No"

"Exactly." Nae replied. " She plays victim every time. I love Chan but I really think she needs help."

"Me too. It's hard to believe she's even doing any of this. I hope she doesn't hate me but honestly being friends with her is a lot on me. It's a huge weight to carry but I love her. I don't know." I said clearly torn.

"Or maybe you just don't know how to be a friend." Liv mumbled.

"Excuse me?" I furrowed my eyebrows looking over at Liv.

"I'm just saying. Friends don't fuck with dudes that other friends have been with. No matter what. It's girl code." Liv replied.

"I get that. That's why I've stayed away but friends also don't try to be in a relationship with someone they know the other friend likes. Chan did that."
I reminded Liv.

"You're right. All of this is just so messy. Y'all both need to leave Chris' ass alone." She said.

"A mess that Chan created. You see how Imani and Chris look and act around each other. That boy loves her, so much. I've never seen that before. Be honest Liv. Chanel knew. She had to. Anybody with eyes can see that connection between them." Nae pointed out.

"I don't know. We'll see what happens." Liv said annoyed.

We were meeting after school at Nae's house. She lived on the lake and hopefully we would hang out after. I told her about Chris and I's first kiss and she was all for it. She doesn't think I should mention it to Chan just yet though. We all sat in the basement living room waiting on Chanel. Where was she? I was starting to get really anxious. My palms were sweaty and I could hear every little sound around me. I could feel my clothes rubbing my skin. I couldn't take it anymore.

Ding dong.

I jumped. Oh thank goodness. She's here. Nae got up to answer the door and lead Chanel downstairs to the basement where we all were. She didn't look excited at all.

"Hey Chan." I said softly, offering a small wave.

"Hi Amira." She replied coldly.

She looked away and sat down on the love seat next to Olivia. Nae and I were on the couch across from them.

"Well I think we all know why we're here. Mira you wanna start?" Nae asked softly and rubbed my back for encouragement.

"Yeah um.....sure. Ok so I know I've been distant but when we had that conversation about the slap I just needed some space to clear my head. I've also been spending time with Chris and I thought you should know. I love you and you're my best friend but you know what happened between us Chan. I don't want to keep skating around it anymore." I told her honestly.

"I know you've been messing around with Chris Amira let's cut the crap. How could you even do that? You know what happened between us! You're my best friend and he's my ex. How could you betray me?" She asked acting completely devastated.

"How could you betray ME Chanel?" I finally asked her. "You knew Chanel! YOU KNEW! And you took him for yourself like you always do. You always have to win. You just take and take and take but that was the one thing that you couldn't have. It killed you didn't it? That he didn't love you the way he loves me. That's why you manipulated him. That's why you threatened your life. That's why you set up that whole slap scenario. To keep us away from each other. But for what? Why? Jealousy?" I said now crying.

It all became so clear to me the more I spoke. Chanel was always jealous of me. She wanted what I had. She set up all of these elaborate schemes for her own sick twisted gain and I fell for it.

"I wanted someone to look at me like that okay? He looked at you like you were golden. He liked me first and all of a sudden I put you next to him as a joke and y'all are inseparable? Then of course he just got fine out of nowhere and wanted you. Figures." She rolled her eyes.

Are you serious? I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It all made sense but I didn't want to believe it.

"Chanel I really thought we were friends. I love you. I sacrificed so much for this friendship and this is what I get? Why would you do this to me? I love him." I cried. "But I feel like you already knew that." I continued trailing off.

"You don't love me. The betrayal is crazy. Then you wanna blame me? If you wanna be with him, I don't know if I want anything to do with you. Period." She rolled her eyes.

"You created this. I'm the only one trying here. I'm done. If you don't care about our friendship, I don't care." I told her blankly.

"That's obvious." She shot back crossing her arms.

"Well make your choice then. I'm choosing me. Even if I don't end up with him I'm gonna see where it goes. Support it or don't. I supported you after you stole him. I supported you when you started dating his best friend but I wouldn't expect you to know what support means." I stood up. I couldn't sit here with her anymore.

"See where it goes. That's up to y'all. I'll be in touch and let you know what I decide." She said emotionless.

"Whatever Chanel." I told her while walking toward the basement stairs.

I couldn't believe she was acting like this. Where did my best friend go? Did I ever even have one to begin with. I called an uber and sat on the curb next to Janae's sidewalk. I was on my phone when I felt someone tap me on the back, I twisted my neck around so fast I thought I had whiplash. I turned around to see who it was. It was just Janae. Whew. I couldn't handle Chanel right now. I stood up to face Janae.

"You okay girly?" She said sadly.

"I'm good. I just can't believe this is actually happening. I never thought I would be the one to lose a good friend over a boy. Am I wrong here? Should I just leave Chris alone?" I asked her.

"Do what you feel is right in your heart babe. Take some time. Pray on it. Sleep on it. Whatever you need to do. I agree that this situation is messy. I don't know what I would do if I were either of y'all. You really have to figure out which connection is more important to you and better for you in general. I see how you light up around Chris. How he makes you smile. Your light seems dimmer and dimmer these days around Chanel. You're a great friend and I know you didn't have any ill intentions. I will support you in whatever. I promise." She told me while looking into my eyes.

She pulled me in for a hug. I needed that right now. I shed a tear or two.

"I love you Nae. Thank you." I said in her ear still hugging.

"Of course. I love you too boo." She said smiling.

She sat on the curb with me in silence as I laid my head on her shoulder. Olivia never came outside. I guess she was comforting Chanel. It became clear to me whose side she took more. Oddly enough, I don't blame her. I understand Olivia's point of view. From the outside looking in, it can look bad from my side. I wasn't mad. I just knew where I stood. My uber came in about 5 minutes and Nae sent me off. I don't think I would ever speak to Chanel again honestly. I wish she would be supportive but I knew her. I knew better. We had been friends so long I kind of felt codependent on her. I never had a real best friend until I met her. I thought she was my other half. A soulmate in a friend kind of way. It was like a gut punch to figure out that she had a years long scheme to hurt me. I loved her but I had to let her go but this wouldn't be the last I'd be hearing from her like I thought. It just got messier.