When Time Stood Still

He left her alone again!

The weight of the literal world was on Shura's shoulders. Everyone she had ever cared about would die. The child she carried would become cursed. She had to seal the contract and become Mephisto's champion. Of course, they had barely dated. But in the grand scheme of things, dying wasn't an option, but a weird fucked-up marriage was.

She was off to a grand start. Mephisto left her in the middle of a fucking forest!

If the demon told Shura the truth, Mephisto planned to save them all. But she would need to trust him and create an eternal bond to ensure the plan came to pass. Could she do it?

"Ah, hello, there!"

Shura spun around to the sound of a woman's voice.

"Uh, who are you?"

The woman was tall and athletic. She wore a long, gauzy, translucent Chiton. She had richly coloured hair, resembling a dark velvety chocolate. Her brandy-coloured eyes were both warm and full of unspoken mischief.

"I'm your bridesmaid." She bowed slightly. "My name is Sappho."

"Uh...okay," Shura mumbled with uncertainty. "How do you know Mephisto?"

"Ohhhh, Samael? We go waaaay back." She waved her hand dismissively. "No need to worry. I'm one of his souls."

"Pardon?" Shura took a step backwards. "His souls?"

"Oh, I probably shouldn't have started with that part. Uh, anyway. Samael, or...uh...Mephisto, as you know him. He's an excellent spouse for a soul."

"Willing or unwilling?" Shura countered. "If I go through with this contract, will I be a prisoner?"

"He doesn't want to entrap you," Sappho explained. "He wants to remove you from the timeline. That means you must literally become a part of him. It is a wonderful thing to be considered one of the souls. It is a gift of collaboration and knowledge sharing. To become part of the external timeline is the greatest of gifts."

"You can't take someone from a timeline." Shura winced. "It means I've never existed."

"He will untie you from the past and future. You will still remember the life you lived. But the rest of your friends and family will not remember this version of you. But, of course, you will continue to exist."

"Rin and Yukio...they won't know me." Shura's face fell. "But if it means they avoid all the pain they've experienced. It's the right thing to do."

"You already have Mephisto's blood." Sappho sighed. "All that is left is the acceptance of his heart."

"I don't like the sound of this." Shura griped. "It sounds complicated."

"Once you take him on, the new vessel for Satan will be set free."

"What? You mean, Mephisto is the vessel!?" Shura rounded on her. "He can't martyr himself, that will cause the end of the world!! The demon kings need to be in balance!!"

"Shura, you must trust him."

"No." She shook her head. "It's too risky."

"He will not die." She placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "I promise."

Sappho raised her voice, speaking out into the ether.

"Samael, you lady is feeling pressured. She's pregnant; the end of the world is coming. Her suitor is a demon. It's like a cross between Rosemary's baby and a shotgun wedding in Kentucky."