A Trick to Life

Shura's agony was absolute. The pain from numerous burns was so intense that she could barely understand what was happening. Through the fog of unconsciousness, she caught bright flashes of her surroundings, like sudden edits of a crude film. As her body was rushed through the halls on a stretcher, she expected the drab green rooms of True Cross  Hospital. But something wasn't right; Shura was strapped down like a prisoner and was somewhere in the bowels of Mephisto's mansion. It wasn't nurses or orderlies tending to her, but faceless men dressed in black cowls. 

"Where are we going?" She croaked.

"Shhhhh." It was Mephisto's voice. "Conserve your strength."

At the end of the corridor was a service elevator, that consisted of nothing more than a wooden platform with a folding slat door.  With a lurch, she felt herself sink lower and lower into the damp recesses of some unknown place, Mephisto was sending her to either the morgue or a dungeon.

Attempting to move her legs, Shura realized she was helpless, there was a heavy and oppressive weight covering her entire body, and nothing was responding. 

"Mephisto...help me." She gasped. "I'm dying..."

"I will darling," His voice echoed around her. "Do not worry."

When the platform ground to an abrupt halt, Shura was pushed into a long stone room with modern laboratory equipment. A doctor approached, and Shura recognized him immediately. It was Igor Neuhaus. He hooked her up to a heart monitor and surveyed the damage.

"These wounds are not survivable." His voice was heavy with despair.

"Yes, I know." Mephisto pushed back his hood. 

He had been one of the men in black. Strangely, once the disguise was removed, all the rest of his helpers disappeared like a hoard of faceless doppelgangers.

"Shura, can you still hear me?" His voice soothed. "The only way to survive these injuries will require paranormal intervention."

Her eyes fluttered in response, but she could no longer speak.

"I will use my blood to heal you." He continued. "Say, yes, and all of this pain will go away."

Yet, Shiro's words echoed in her mind. Don't agree to anything!

Shura, of course, needn't worry, she was already slipping away, down a long dark tunnel to oblivion.

Her eyes closed with exhaustion and her breath slowed to a raspy, uneven sound.

"Did she consent?" Neuhaus urged. "We haven't much time."

"She asked me to help her."

"Did she say, Sir Pheles, give me your blood and take my soul?" Neuhaus crossed his arms in frustration. "She did not."

"Of course, she didn't."

"Well, we wouldn't be in this mess," Neuhaus ran an IV line through her charred flesh. "If you had simply saved her 30 seconds sooner."

"I have my reasons." Mephisto's eyes narrowed. "I'd suggest not questioning my motives."

"Your motives have caused her pain..."  Neuhaus growled. "Pretty soon we'll have a corpse on our hands."

"Than I suggest we get started." Mephisto sighed. "I will work out the specifics later."

"Are we using the elixir that we once used for Fujimoto?"

"No." Mephisto rolled up his sleeve. "This time it will be pure."

Neuhaus's expression creased with concern.