Options

Mephisto had ruined everything.

Shiro couldn't find Yukio.

After being released from his demon captor, Shiro had tracked Yukio's footprints to a chapel in Northern Cross, and that's where the trail ended. The boy had used his portal key and disappeared. The key could take him to any religious building, anywhere. Shiro had zero chance of finding him now.

He needed to change tactics to locate Yukio. Heading back to the place he started, Shiro made his way toward the ongoing demon invasion. There was one more person who could help him, and that person was Shura.

He immediately noticed that Shura knew this version of Yukio much better than he did. Shiro had no experience with the teenagers. In his time, his sons were only five years old. Shura might be able to give him valuable insights into the lives of his boys after his death and perhaps a window into Mephisto's evil plans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shura was soaked with sweat and covered in layers of dirt. After fighting endlessly, she had slain some of the biggest and nastiest monsters she'd ever seen. As her exorcist team retreated behind the walls of True Cross Academy Town, a rumbling suddenly shook the ground.

"Oh, shit..." She muttered. "What now!?"

A giant fire-breathing manticore landed behind her with a bone-crushing explosion, destroying an office building like brittle pumice stone.

"FALL BACK!!!!" Shura commanded. "I'LL KEEP IT BUSY!!!"

With a cacophony of shouts and screams, the exorcists fled, leaving their commanding officer alone. Yet, one man stuck by her side.

"You too, old-timer!" She ordered, pointing to Shiro in disguise. "This is a death mission, and all I've got is a half-powered sword!"

"Don't you mean...Baldy?" Shiro smiled. "Isn't that what you call geezers like me?"

Shura broke into a tired grin. "Where'd ya hear that saying?"

"I used to work with your old master, Fujimoto." He smiled. "I think he'd be disappointed if I left you here to die. I ain't a coward."

"Heh." Shura pulled Fang from its scabbard. "Suit yerself, but if you get hurt, it's your own damn fault."

Shura then, without hesitation, charged toward the monster, slicing at its exposed breastbone. The beast lurched back in pain, crushing another building in its wake. With a few precious seconds to spare, she ran for cover.

The monster retaliated quickly, whipping its mighty wing toward her, its feathers razor-sharp and gunning for her jugular.

"SHURA!!!" The older man lunged behind her, firing a spray of glowing bullets. The metal projectiles expanded within the air, creating an aria field of protection--just in the nick of time. Both of them tumbled headlong into the concrete. Shura's ample chest broke Shiro's fall.

He smirked as he reluctantly lifted his face from the soft, welcoming cushion.

"Sorry, lady." He quipped. "I haven't the time for that sorta thing."

"Hehehehe." Shura clapped him on the shoulder with appreciation. "You're a damn good shot, thanks, man. I was a goner!"

"Ah well, I'm a bit rusty." He laughed good-naturedly. "These old bones are slowing me down."

"I swear you shoot just like Fujimoto; that was incredible."

Her face became troubled at the thought before she added--