Fashionably Late

Mephisto knotted his tie pink tie and emerged from his bedroom into the gilded hall. He glanced at Shura in her new outfit and smiled with appreciation.

"That looks so good on you." He grinned with appreciation.

"Why is this outfit so tight?" Shura grumbled. "And sexy?"

"You know, online, they call you the boobalicious exorcist?" He explained. "You were all over the news and social media. You're a TikTok sensation!"

"Whaaat!?"

"That's why I need you by my side; you are a big celebrity now," Mephisto added. "You need to take on my responsibilities if anything happens to me. The people will respect you, and you are their new hero."

"Wait! I didn't agree to anything like that!"

"I know, but the world perishes if you don't help me." He shrugged his shoulders. "So, Miss Kirigakure, what will it be?"

"Fine." She agreed grudgingly. "I'll work with you, but I'm not your servant."

"I fully understand."

"You haven't answered my question. Why am I dressed like this?"

"I rarely go out in public, darling." He laughed. "Let's just say you make me look like a big deal, and I'm trying to make someone jealous."

"Who?"

"That's for me to know."

A team of heavily armed bodyguards marched from the stairwell, meeting them. The burly, heavily armed men wore black suits, leather shoes and dark sunglasses. One of them handed Shura a pair of Ray-Ban Predator shades.

"Why do I gotta wear these?" She griped. "What am I doing here, larping Trinity from the Matrix?"

"Please, Shura." Mephisto pouted. "I need you to play your part and blend in with my security detail."

"Where did you dig all these guys up?"

"I collected them over the years." He explained. "Most of them are former KGB, Green Beret, CIA and special forces. I pay them handsomely."

"Jesus, you have mercenaries."

"Darling, don't be intimidated. None have your skillset; it's just you and I in a heated battle against demons."

"Naw, this doesn't intimidate me at all." She sighed sarcastically. 

"My lady, you got this." He affirmed. "Do not worry."

Belial presented Mephisto with an elaborate cape, pinning the True Cross Coat of Arms to his lapel. With a theatric flourish of his long fingers, the demon shouted. "ONWARD BOYS!" And they proceeded down the stairs and exited the main doors of the mansion. Shura balked at the military-like enclave of armoured vehicles. Mephisto's vintage Rolls Royce Phantom limousine was in the middle of the Armada. Shura attempted to hang back with the men, but the demon leaned close, placing a purple-gloved hand on her back and steered her firmly with him.

"My lady, you will ride with me."

"Fuck, I was afraid of that." She whispered under her breath. "What's with all this official bullshit?"

As the doors slammed shut on the car, she slid across from him on the burgundy leather seat.

"This is all for show; we must make a huge splash today." He explained with growing jubilation. "This is the day the world finds out demons exist. It's exhilarating!!"

"You're telling people on national television!?" She gasped.

"I am."

"But Mephisto, won't that cause worldwide panic!?"