A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

December 2017

Shura sat in the True Cross Library, reading through all the invites she'd received for Christmas parties. Of course, all of that could wait. She was attending a marriage-hunting event organized by a prestigious matchmaking firm. Now that Shura was free from Hachiro's curse, she could plan her new life and find someone to share it with. 

It was at that moment that Yukio entered the room. He regarded Shura's choice of clothing, and his face was ridden with instant disproval.

"What's with that?" His voice dripped with judgment. "You're a bit tall to be Santa's elf."

"But tall enough to be his slutty sister!" She chimed gleefully. "I'm off to find a husband."

"Uh...great." Yukio's voice was dour. "I've got plans coming up, too," 

"What kinda plans?"

"Shiemi is having a Christmas party; Rin is forcing me to go."

"You? At a party?"

"Maybe you should go in my place?"

"Forget it, nerd." Shura laughed. "Hangin' out with kids ain't my idea of a good time."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six hours later

The marriage party had been an utter disaster. 

Shura had the best intentions, but nothing had worked out. She spent three hours conversing with men who didn't understand her. No, Shura winced; they didn't care to understand. They wanted women who were sexy and domestic. Shura had the sexy part down in spades; but didn't have the rest. They wanted women to be the free labour, providing cooking, cleaning and child-rearing services. Shura would get a roof over her head in exchange and years with a dull man. 

There wasn't an ounce of humour in a sea of boring suits. 

Shura quickly retreated, finding herself back at the True Cross Cantina. She slid into a dingy booth and ordered four pictures of draft beer and a rack of shots. She would feel sorry for herself and power drink to oblivion.

Two hours later

In a blurry stupor, she felt his presence. He appeared out of the corner of her eye, wearing a bold pin-striped suit and pink ascot. Mephisto slid into the worn leather seat beside her, and Shura was immediately overwhelmed by his cloying scent. It was a mix of exotic cologne and a hint of cardamom. All upper-level demons had that distinct spicy smell, which wasn't unpleasant.   After years of training under Hachiro, Shura's senses of demons were heightened. For whatever reason, she could find Mephisto wherever he was, like dowsing rods to water.

 The demon ignored the drunken woman beside him and motioned to the waitress.

"I'll take a Singapore Sling, followed by complete privacy." He slid a large bill across the table.

"Yes, Director." The woman nodded nervously, returning shortly with the pink, fruity drink.

"Isn't that a hooker's drink?" Shura slurred. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

"I came for a beverage and saw you, barely conscious." He sighed. "I was being a good Samaritan."

"That's bullshit."

He took a long, slow sip from the curly straw as the music became louder and the lights dimmed.

"So," Mephisto began knowingly. "How did the marriage-hunting party go?"