Thirty-Three

Billy better have a good reason why he's two hours late for our date. I'm just waiting in the parlor with Stefan, so he could give Billy the 'you hurt my sister, I'll break your face' speech. One minute became ten, ten became thirty, and thirty became two hours later. I wouldn't be so pissed off if he had at least called to tell me he's going to be late, or at least cancel the date. And I get shit happens, like I was 10 minutes late for a date once, but I called his house to let him know. And it doesn't even help that Stefan thinks my relationship with Billy is utter bullshit.

"If this is his way of him trying to get my blessing, I'm telling you now, it sucks," Stefan said as he handed me a drink.

"He's never been late before," I told him. He hasn't. Billy hasn't been late to any of our dates.

"I don't know, Bels. Billy's a player. Have you ever considered that maybe -"

I already know where he's heading with this. I glared at Stefan and said, "You better not -"

"- he's out there with someone else."

 I shook my head in disbelief. "He wouldn't do that. Not to me."

"This wouldn't be the first time we were wrong about someone. And I've met guys like Billy before. He says he could change and that you're the only girl for him, the next thing you know he's in the janitor's closet having sex with some other girl."

"Except things are different this time. And Billy would be pretty stupid to cheat on a vampire."

"You said it, not me." I sighed in frustration before heading over to the door. "Where are you going?"

"His house," I said as I grabbed my jacket. "And if he's not there, the community pool. I don't care if I have to search all of Hawkins to find him."

"Then let me help," he offered. "I might not be Billy's biggest fan but he does owe you an explanation."

I nodded before tossing him his jacket. Stefan quickly put it on before we left.

》》》》

We arrived at Billy's house. I knocked at the door repeatedly until Max opened it. She looked like she was about to get ready for bed.

"Hey, Max," I said with an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry to bug you, but is Billy home?"

"No, I thought he was with you," she said with her brows furrowed.

Stefan sighed as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. "He was, but he never showed up. We just want to know if he's here."

"He hasn't been home all night." Max bit her lip as she tried not to cuss Billy out. "I can't believe he would do this."

"We don't know, yet," I interjected as I gave them a look. "Something could have happened and I want to make sure he's ok."

"Can you call us when Billy gets back?" Stefan asked.

"I will."

We bid Max farewell before we walked away from her house. "That was a complete bust." I ignored Stefan and began biting my nails. That anger I felt before is gone and now placed with worry. This isn't like Billy to just up and left. Things were going great with us, he would tell me if something was wrong...Wouldn't he? Stefan glanced at me and could see my worriedness. He wrapped his arm in an assuring embrace. "We'll find him. Don't worry."

That's when we ran toward the community pool. At least we were, we came to a stop when I caught Billy's scent in the middle of the road. It wasn't just his scent, I could also smell his fear. Billy's car was parked on the side of the road by the telephone booth. I followed his scent toward the booth while Stefan checked his car. Billy's scent continued off to the woods and that's where I followed it. Or tried to. I came to the middle of the clearing and that's where Billy's scent ended.