Eight

I don't mind doing a few favors for the kids here and there. I don't mind taking them to school since mine is right across from theirs. I would have dressed up, but I really didn't have enough time to pick out a costume.

I was getting ready before I went to pick Dustin up since his mom asked. I was on the phone with Stefan, who decided to finally call. That really made my morning. I know he's ok even if he can't tell me his exact location. I told him everything that went down with Damon and, of course, he got worried.

"He didn't hurt you, did he?" he asked.

"No, but that murdering brother almost attacked my friend," I said.

"Wait, your friend?"

I nodded. "Yeah, his name is Steve. He came by to drop off my textbook when Damon decided to visit."

"Does he know about us? About what we are?"

"Yeah." Stefan sighed. "You can trust Steve. He won't tell anyone. And we both know me staying in Hawkins isn't forever. Just until this whole Damon thing blows over."

"But that could take years, Bels."

"Then, I'll leave once I graduate. I'll lie and said that I got a scholarship in Italy." I like the idea. "Yeah, Italy. Maybe we could meet up there."

"What about Damon?"

"Then we lock him up. I don't know. He's mostly after you."

"I know." Stefan let out a breath. "I'm sorry I brought you into this. He came after you because of me."

"No, he came after me because Damon's a dick." Stefan snorted. "Just tell me that you're safe."

"Yeah. I am. Are you? Damon hasn't made any other appearances?"

"No, I compelled a few people in town to call me if they see him."

"Good. That's good." I heard a twig snap outside of my house. I turned my head towards the sound. "Bels? You there?"

"I'm here." I heard another twig snap. "I'll call you back."

I didn't give him time to answer before hanging up the phone. I slowly walked towards my door before speeding behind the intruder. It was just a kid. She looked like she could be around Mike's age. Her short curly hair. She was eyeing my house as I tilted my head to the side.

I can't scare her. Like I said, she's just a kid. If it was someone else older than her then I would have pulled a Damon and fog up the place before scaring them away.

"Are you lost?" I asked her. The girl jumped before spinning my direction. I slowly walked up to her. "Are you ok?" She didn't say anything. She gave me a fearful look before nodding her head. "You don't have to be scared. I won't hurt you." I know, that's what everyone says before they actually do hurt them. But I mean it. I held my hand out for her to shake. "I'm Bela. I live here."

The girl looked at my hand and back at me before she slowly reached out to shake it. "Eleven."

Eleven. That's a start.

"Do you need me to call your parents, Eleven?" I asked. She shook her head. "Why not?"

"Not suppose to leave."

I slowly nodded. "So you decided to be a little rebel and break the rules." She nodded. I knelt down to her level and looked her in the eye as I felt my pupils dilate. "You should head on home. Your parents might be worried about where you are."

"Not yet," she said. I furrowed my brows. Compulsion didn't work on her?

I licked my lip before I perked my ears up to see if anyone was coming. When I didn't hear anything I stood up. "Ok, how about we head inside? I could make you some cocoa before I have to leave. Is that ok?"

Eleven nodded before we headed inside my house. She can withstand my compulsion. That is really weird. I mean, this is the first time I can across this. I don't think she's drinking any vervain. My guess is that she's either a witch and knows or her parents are hiding it from her.

"Make yourself comfortable," I said. "We've got..." I glanced at the clock, 7:03, "30 minutes before I have to pick up my friend." I went towards the fridge. "Are you hungry? I could make you a peanut butter and jelly while we wait for the hot chocolate."

"No, thank you," Eleven said.

I grabbed the milk before grabbing the chocolate mix from the pantry and mixed the contents together in the pot before I set it on the stove. "Did you want eggs or anything?" She shook her head. "Toast?" She shook it again. "Anything?"

I gave the girl a confused look when she walked towards the fridge. She opened the freezer and started scanning around before she pulled out something. She held up the box of Eggos.

"Waffles?" I asked. She nodded. I smiled at her. "Sure." Eleven held the box for me. When our fingers touched she let out a small gasp before dropping the box. I was quick enough to grab them before they hit the ground. "Whoa, are you ok?"

"Cold," she said. "Dead." She looked up at me. "You feel cold and dead." Her eyes went wide. "Demogorgon?"

I gave her another confused look. "A what?" Her breath started hitching as she started breathing heavily. I rushed over. "Hey, Eleven. Hey!"

She shook her head. "No, no, no."

"Eleven, I'm not a Demogorgon. I'm human, ok?" I said. She started backing away from me. I bit my lip before grabbing a knife from the counter. I held it up. Eleven's eyes went even wider before I held my palm out and sliced it. I winced a bit of blood started pooling down my hand, but I held it up for her. "See? Human. I'm not a Demogorgon."

Her mouth flew open as she inspected the cut on my hand. I went over and grabbed one of the rags and covered my hand.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled.

"Eleven, it's ok," I said.

She shook her head. "I'm sorry. I have to leave."

"Eleven?" Eleven turned around and started running out. I followed her. "Eleven?!"

When I reached the door, I noticed that she was further away from my house. I sighed as I watched her go. I could have sped over and told her it was ok, but then she might have asked me how I got there so fast. But what the hell is a Demogorgon?

I removed my hand to see the wound slowly healing itself. I flexed my fingers a bit before looking back towards Eleven's direction. She's gonna have to wait. Now, I have to pick up Dustin.

》》》》

A/N: Oooh, Bela and Eleven interaction.