chapter 7

I picked up the gas cans from the ground, refilling them full and setting them in their cases. I checked every maneuver gears and fixed the ones with even just the slightest bit of fracture, sweat prickling from my forehead. I wiped them away and started stitching up the ripped saddles, sitting on the cool grass as the wind flew through them.

"[n/n], you don't have to do this." Joshida sat next to me, trying to grab the heavy saddles from my hands. "Yes, I do." I said, pushing his hands off of me. "If I'm not gonna be out there then I might as well help while you're still here."

He sighed and laid on the grass, staring up to the sky. "I shouldn't stay.." I whispered to myself, finally rethinking my decision. I set the saddle and my tools down and laid next to him. "Yes, you should." Joshida chuckled a bit. "You finally just got better, you deserve a break." He sat up, patting my stomach before he got back on his feet.

"We could take care of ourselves, squad leader." He mocked out 'squad leader' with a laugh before walking off to Levi and his squad with Daanz. I sat up on my side and stared at the pale man with his dark black undercut hair flowing along with the wind.

Remembering what happened a couple of days ago, I sighed and stood up to measure the saddle on a horse.

I am now positive that Levi is back to his old self, and this time, I am sure that I'm just not over thinking it. He would walk away when I would approach near, but still speak to me when its needed. Sometimes answer my statements with his usual witty conebacks.

"If you're just gonna be sitting on your ass all day, you should at least sit where you're not in the way."

I've been thinking about what I feel about him for the past couple days but I still have no idea how to describe it; this foreign feeling that I feel when I'm around him. Possible hatred, to be honest. Its probably only foreign because I've never actually hated him.

I'm actually quite sure that he already forgot about his unknown "feelings" towards me. Or just chose to ignore what he did just a couple days ago, completely forgetting about it. I wish I could do that; forget about..

"You two will be right behind the titan shifter, protecting him and leaving your horses to use your gears only when you're told." Levi's voice was cold and emotionless but it was somehow soothing.

I leave to go home tomorrow while the survey corps leave for the 57th expedition in 2 days, making me nervous as it grew nearer.

I needed to talk to Levi, terribly soon before I leave but I don't know what my mind wanted me to talk to him about. A sense of needing to speak with him suddenly flowing its way through my mind due to an unknown reason. A frustrating unknown reason.

"What do you want?" He didn't even look me in the eyes, he kept his gaze down on the wooden table where the papers were after he told everyone they were dismissed. I sat in front of him, trying to catch his glance, wanting to look in his gray eyes, thinking I might figure out what I wanted to talk to him about if he would just look up.

"I need to talk to you.." My voice quiet and soft, he finally looked at me, sending a bright vibration of nervousness as images of what could happen during the expedition popped up on my mind.

"About what?" He put his papers down, paying attention to what I have to say, worried plastered all over his face. I looked up at the sky and smiled, putting my hand over my necklace from above my shirt. I frowned as more of the images came through my mind again.

"Here." I started unbuttoning my shirt to get the necklace, Levi's eyes widening but calming again once I took the necklace out. I set the small, smooth and shiny white rock with a very thin black leather wrapped around it in middle on the table. I buttoned up my white shirt and held onto the skinny black fabric that was holding onto a metal part in the rock.

I handed it towards Levi as he stared at me, confusion covering his features. "Its my lucky rock." I said, taking his hands and putting the necklace in them.

"I don't need a stupid rock to protect me in the expedition." He looked at me like I was an idiot and walked off. "Levi," I called for him, following behind. "Please." I begged him, stopping him from walking any further. "I need you to be there for my brother." He looked as if he was shocked and expected something else than me asking him to protect Daanz. Which he's right, I want him to survive too..

I held the rock in his hands and closed it as I walked closer towards him, looking up.

I felt my heart beating through my chest as I looked around in his eyes. Looking for answers like how he did with mine before.

We hate each other, thats how its suppose to work.

My hands guided their way from his and up to his chest as we drew closer to each other. I observed the features on his face; from his eyes, down to his chin, stopping and slowing once I reached his lips before looking back up.

Thats how its always been and thats how it should stay.

I slowly brought my shaking hand, feeling his soft cheek with the back of my hand as I continued to get lost in his eyes. "I.." Levi tried to say but stopped when his hands interlocked around my waist.

"She hates him. And he hates her too."

Do I? Do I really? I don't even know..

I cupped my hand on his cheek and slowly started to lean, my body shaking from nervousness of what to expect. He stood still, making me do all the movements but then it happened..

The electricity that I felt before, running up and down, back and forth, through my veins, pumping through my chest. His soft lips kissing back with mine brought that electricity, weakening my knees. I brought my left hand, grabbing onto his neck as he pulled me closer to his body. Loving each and every contact.

It was full of passion and heat but nothing too extreme. It was exactly what I liked and due to the small smile that his lips formed in between the kiss, I knew he liked it too.

I pulled away to catch my breath but still kept my lips near his. I gave it one last quick peck before very slowly backing away, my gaze to the flowing grass on the ground.

I stopped and straightened myself before looking up to him.

"Return back alive?" I smiled at him as I slightly blushed, looking down. "And I'll tell you exactly what I felt."