Episode Two

"another increase?" Ana asks, softly, looking up at her landlord.

"listen, I'm sorry, I really am, but the value of the building is going down so I need to up charge the rent" The landlord explains.

Ana sighs, softly.

"what's with your head?" The landlord asks.

"got hit in the head with a radio" Ana replies, softly. "I'm fine"

"oof" The landlord cringes.

"not the worst thing to happen to me in the past two weeks" Ana shrugs, softly.

"so... the rent?" The landlord requests.

"yeah, yeah" Ana nods, softly, going over to the small box shaped safe that she keeps in the apartment. It contains her service weapon and cash because the landlord only accepts cash.

It's organized by what the money will be used for. Ana takes all of the money out of the "rent" bin and takes all of the money out of  the "lunch" bin and all of the money out of "fun" bin (though there was only five bucks in there to begin with).

Ana stands back up and hands him the cash.

"here you go" Ana says, softly, watching as he counts the cash.

"I'm sorry about all of this" The landlord apologizes.

"it's fine, it seems like everything is increasing in price recently" Ana sighs.

"gas is through the roof" The landlord agrees.

"I've started riding my bike to work" Ana says, softly. "can barely keep up with the car payments, but gas too? it's too much"

"how's Esmerelda's hip doing?" The landlord asks.

"she complains about it whenever she gets the opportunity but then she also still manages to bring home a new man every night, so... who knows at this point" Ana sighs, softly.

"wasn't your pay bump at work supposed to cover the hip replacement?" The landlord asks.

"it is, the appointment is scheduled in two months" Ana replies, softly.

"well, again, sorry about this, and have a good evening" The landlord says once he finishes counting the money.

"of course, you have a good night too" Ana says, softly, closing the door once he leaves.

She leans against it, closing her eyes and letting out a long exhale.

"shit"

[Timeskip]

"Settle down. Find a seat. First up, I'd like to congratulate Officer Jackson West on the fine pinch last night. No crook is safe from Officer West, not even his landlord." Grey says, starting roll call.

Everyone applauses and Grey hands Jackson a form.

"Letter of commendation?" Jackson guesses.

"Change of address form. Your apartment is now considered a "house of ill repute" - and under asset seizure. We need your new address by tomorrow, even if it's Mama's house. All right. This sharp-dressed man in the doorway is Detective Nick Armstrong. He'll be in the field after hours for your detecting needs. Yes, Officer Lopez?" Grey continues.

"Detective Armstrong, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "patrol friendly" and 10 is "making us guard a cleared crime scene in the pouring rain 'cause you get "a power trip off of it," where do you stand?" Angela asks.

"Lopez." Grey scolds.

"No, it's all right, Sarge. I appreciate a direct question. A lot of cops take off the uniform, they put on the suit. Suddenly, they think they're better than the officers in this room. I'm not one of them. Patrol is where it all happens. It's fast, honest, pure, raw. 85% of all crimes are solved at the patrol level. So, the way I see it, I am here to help you, not the other way around. And if that doesn't win you over, I have five dozen of the finest donuts in the break room. That's all I'm saying." Armstrong replies.