Episode Ten

"At 0500 this morning, guards at Central California Women's Facility prepared prisoner 081316 for transport. Rosalind Dyer, the most rare of unicorns -- a female serial killer. For the last five years, she's been on death row, confined to an 11-by-8 cell. Today, she's coming to us. Now, before I get to assignment details, I want to defer to Assistant District Attorney Del Monte for background on Ms. Dyer. Sean?" Grey says, beginning roll call that morning.

"Thank you, Sergeant. Good morning, everyone." Del Monte says.

"Good morning." Everyone says back.

"My name is Sean Del Monte. For those of you who are not familiar with this case, in 2015, Rosalind Dyer was convicted in the torture and mutilation killings of seven individuals." Del Monte starts with Ana jotting down notes.

"But there's evidence that the body count is much higher." Armstrong adds, Ana frowns at the thought.

"In three of those seven murders, the bodies were never recovered, so now Dyer has agreed to show us the location of those three victims" Del Monte continues.

"Excuse me, sir. In exchange for what?" Nolan asks.

"Well, her sentence will be commuted from death to life without parole." Del Monte explains.

"Why the hell are we cutting her that break?" Tim asks with Ana agreeing with the sentiment. She spins the sun ring on her finger, finding that it's a good way to relieve her anxiety.

"Well, it's not for her. It's for the families of those victims. They've been waiting a long time for closure." Del Monte responds.

"Yeah, what about the other families? The ones that we promised the death penalty? What do we tell them? 'Cause they're calling me." Armstrong argues.

"Just tell them it's above your pay grade, Detective." Del Monte replies.

"Why does she have to come here? Can't she just tell you where the bodies are?" Angela asks.

"She claims not to know their precise locations. Griffith Park is over 4,000 acres. Dyer says the only way she'll be able to identify the dig sites is by retracing her original footsteps." Del Monte explains.

"Sounds like an excuse to get out in the sun, relive her kills." Harper says.

"Maybe, but she knows if she doesn't lead us to all three bodies that the deal is off, so..." Del Monte points out.

"Okay, let's get down to it. First, the station needs to be locked down for her arrival. Processing is officially closed for business. All suspects in our holding cells will be shipped to the Twin Towers." Grey says, dismissing them.

[Timeskip]

"This is so surreal. An honest-to-God serial killer?" Nolan says as they're putting criminals in the transport vehicles.

"The psychology is pretty fascinating -- well, biology, really. Brain-scan research shows clear differences in the amygdala and the supramarginal gyrus of a signature killer." Lucy explains.

"English?" Jackson requests.

"They lack the ability to feel empathy. There's also data that suggests some psychopaths could have a decreased sense of smell." Lucy says.

"I've met someone like that" Ana says, softly.

"you did?" Lucy asks.

"up in Montana" Ana nods. "kidnapped from my grandparents for two weeks, held captive in this little hut. This woman would come in and-... and, anyway, they had to send out an amber alert and stuff, I was fine and everything, but it was still scary."