Episode Twenty

"He's right" Ana exhales, shakily, entering the break room.

"Runt, what's wrong?" Harper asks, seeing how Ana is trembling and looks like she hasn't slept a wink.

Ana puts down a note on the table.

"my grandparents, gone" Ana whispers. "t-they must've seen us when we went back to check out where Cole was shot"

"it's the only way" Nolan realizes.

"Armstrong is working with them, he has to be, and they don't want us to look into it further, so he got hostages" Nolan stands up, looking over at Harper.

"Hostages from the most vulnerable person on the team" Harper connects the dots.

"vulnerable?" Ana sniffles, a little hurt by being called the most vulnerable.

"Everyone cares about you, because let's be honest I don't really give two shits about West because I don't know him and Bradford doesn't give two shits about me. And Angela doesn't give two shits about Nolan, but everyone cares about you, it makes you the most vulnerable" Harper explains.

"so now what?" Ana asks, softly.

"now we have to get enough evidence against him" Nolan decides.

[Timeskip]

"Excuse me, sir." Harper says, entering Grey's office with Nolan and Ana.

Ana sees Armstrong standing there as well.

"Yes?" Grey asks.

"I might have a way to run down Serj." Harper starts.

"You got my attention." Grey nods.

"There's a former contact of mine from way back in the day. He runs in the same circles as Serj and Ruben. He might talk to me." Harper replies.

"Well, run it down. You don't need my permission." Grey says.

"I do if I want to go plainclothes and unmarked. I'll spook him if I show up in blues and a shop." Harper explains.

"Do it." Grey consents and they leave his office.

"Hey! You, uh, mind if I tag along? Better than finding my own clues." Armstrong asks, approaching the three.

"Sure. The more, the merrier." Nolan agrees.

"Great. Uh, let me grab my keys. I'll meet you in the parking lot." Armstrong smiles.

[Timeskip]

"this is how we get him?" Ana asks, softly, as she changes into plains clothes with Harper in the girls locker room.

"yes" Harper answers. "he's walking into the trap"

"if he finds out that I'm still working the Serj case, will they kill my grandparents?" Ana questions, softly.

"no, because he thinks that you're following an entirely different lead" Harper answers. 

"they didn't sign up for this" Ana sniffles as she changes.

"I know, but when you're the family of a cop, you're much more vulnerable" Harper says. "I found that out the hard way with Lila."

"if they die-..." Ana trails off.

"they won't" Harper promises. "we're going to get the bastard and find them"

[Timeskip]

Harper has Nolan ride with her while Ana rides with Armstrong.

"Do you know who Harper's contact is?" Armstrong asks while Ana drives.

"no, she likes to keep her sources private" Ana says, softly.