chapter twelve - Char

Max

I look at Charles, who is trying to drink the whole bottle of half a liter of water at once, but it doesn't go at all, because half the water is already on the panels and his shirt. His face is all red, he almost chokes, but he doesn't let go, ignoring my laughter.

A few hours ago we had a serious conversation. Since then, we've done little interesting things. Mostly we just talk, not about the past or what's going on in our lives, but about silly things, laughing every now and then. By now we should be asleep to be rested for the race, which is in a few hours, but instead, we decided to make up for lost time, or actually, Leclerc said so, and I nodded. Maybe it's silly, but I feel so much better now that I've shaken off what I've been holding in for so long. I feel that this reconciliation is one of the few good decisions I've made recently, because I know Charles is a good person. I remember as a kid by his side I was a better version of myself. My father didn't pay much attention to raising me. It's so silly, but it was a little kid who dreamed of being in a Ferrari who taught me good manners, while my father made me learn how to build a car by heart.

"Charles, it's over, you're suffocating." I get up and take the bottle away from him.

"Well hey!" he shouts indignantly, breathing loudly. "I almost had it!" he adds.

"And do we include the panels and the T-shirt or not?" I ask, reclining on the couch.

"What are you..." he doesn't finish when he notices a puddle of water around him. "Oh..." he scratches the back of his neck, resignedly sitting down next to me. "I guess we should go to bed now." he adds.

"Are you trying to suggest that I sleep in the same bed with you now without saying so directly?" I smile mischievously, seeing his cheeks blush gently.

"God, Max!" he slaps my leg, to which I hiss in pain. Of course, this is not a real reaction, because the blow was almost imperceptible. "I didn't mean to!" he adds immediately, at which I burst out laughing. "Well you moron!" he shouts again, waving his hands.

"You still haven't answered me." I raise myself to sit down and move closer to him, leaning my head against his shoulder. "Charles." I look at his face.

"I don't want to leave here anymore." he mumbles. "Besides, we're supposed to make up for lost time..."

"In bed." I interrupt him amused.

"Max! That's not what I meant!" he hides his face in his hands, but I notice the smile on his lips anyway. It suits him like few others. He looks so much better with this joy on his face. "Can I stay?" he finally asks, taking his hands from his face.

"You can, if you clean up this water." I say seriously, at which he rolls his eyes, but, as I move away, he gets up, looking around for a mop. "I have nothing to clean here, this is a hotel." I remind him, to which he mumbles something under his breath, going to the bathroom to get the paper.

I take the phone in my hand and unlock it. The first thing I see are messages from Daniel and some new group. I furrow my eyebrows, entering the conversations with my friend first.

From: Daniel
Max! You bitch! You didn't say you were together!
*sent photo*.
But you are looking at each other! And also the exchange of ice cream means it's like you two are kissing! Because the exchange of saliva! Well wonderful!
I have to tell Pierre about it!

I blink several times, reading the news three times. He is dumber than I thought. I sigh resignedly, not even forcing myself to respond, because he can't be reasoned with when he's in his trance. The next stop is some new group I'm already dreading.