Chapter thirty-four - a birthday well begun

Max

The first race weekend on the new contract passed normally. I mean our return. It was just like any other with the addition of questions about our relationship and the fact that we could talk normally because everyone knows about us anyway. We didn't kiss or hug, because that's not our style. Why should everyone look at it. We prefer to keep some of the relationship to ourselves.

A lot of time has passed since then. We have managed to drive another two races and I left Monaco a week ago and our only contact is FaceTime calls for short minutes over the time difference. Charles has meetings with Ferrari, and I help my sister, who broke two legs by falling on a bicycle. Cripple. I was supposed to stay with her for another week until the next race, but Charles has a birthday today and she told me to come back. Well, and I missed it. Since we've been together this is our first extended separation. Of course, behind his back, I asked all our friends to help me prepare, because I wouldn't be able to do it myself, being in another country. Now I just get off the plane and walk toward the car where Daniel and Pierre are sitting.

I sit forward, putting my bag under my feet, as Pierre sits slouched in the back. I fasten my belt, looking at the two of them, frowning my eyebrows.

"It's nice to see you, too." I force a smile.

"He prefers you to me." Pierre says.

"Because he's my friend." Daniel replies to him.

"What children." I sigh brokenly. "Can we go?" I add, and Daniel suddenly grabs my hair and pulls me by it. "You whore!" I shout, pushing his hand away.

"You cut your hair!" he says loudly, and Pierre suddenly forgets about the argument and moves closer to look at me.

"I?"

"And you look worse." croaks my friend. "I thought that since Charles prefers you longer and uncombed it's the kind you'll have all your life." He adds amused.

"It's just hair, Daniel. It will grow back." I roll my eyes as the boy pulls out of the parking lot. I lean back in my chair, closing my eyes tiredly.

"Are you okay?" asks Pierre, so I glance at him.

"Yeah, I just feel bad." I say, not entirely honestly.

"Max, we've known each other for so many years that I know when you're skirting the whole truth." Daniel stops at a red light and glances in my direction.

"I don't know, I haven't had time to go to the doctors. I had a fever this morning, and I've been vomiting all night, all my muscles ache like I ran a marathon, and I feel like my head is going to explode."

"I?" Daniel glances at me, turning right at the intersection.

"And nothing."

"Max, damn it!" I gasp when Ricciardo raises his voice, because he never does.

"And I fainted several times." I mumble under my breath, not wanting to talk about it. They start to worry unnecessarily, and I'm fine.

"Several? You mean how many?" Pierre leans forward again, looking in my direction.

"I don't know. A few." I tighten my lips into a thin line. "If I don't get over it, I'll go to the doctor but not today. I'm not going to spoil Charles' birthday and..."

"You'll spoil it by fainting in front of him and ending up in the hospital." Pierre interjects in my sentence, and Daniel nods to him. "But if you think it won't happen, that's fine."

"But you're supposed to go tomorrow." adds my friend, stopping in front of Leclerc's house.

"I'll go, I promise." I smile and get out. I take my bag, close the door and walk toward the front door.