chapter nineteen - trying not to need you

Max

It's been a long time since our unmemorable party. Since then, Charles still doesn't know which blonde he spent the evening with, but that doesn't matter much. As for me, my life is still the same. I'm still quarreling with everyone. Even with my father. Besides Daniel, Lando, Carlos, Charles and even Pierre, I have no one, and I don't want to burden them with my problems, so I've been pretending for several months that everything is ok. My contact with the Ferrari driver has improved, and my trust in him has returned over time, although I haven't told him about it, because I'm afraid that by informing him about it, everything will break down again between us.

Charles took off his bandages a few weeks ago and returned to Formula. At first it was hard for him, but with every next race you can see improvement. In addition, I see how hard he trains to get back into shape, and every time I hear negative comments in his direction, I feel like killing those people. The case in court also went well, and in addition to the money the boy is supposed to get, the man was locked up for other scams.

"Whom my eyes see! Is that the famous Max Verstappen?" I hear behind me.

I turn toward my friend, smiling uncontrollably. Charles looks happier than ever, and it's all the fault of his reconciliation with Hamilton. They were at dinner last night to explain everything and apparently it went well. I try to enjoy his happiness, but I feel strange about it.I don't know how to explain it, but I'm definitely not happy that they can get back together.

"And how was it?" I ask, pretending to be interested.

"Good! Lewis apologized to me, we explained everything and I think it's better than I thought it would be." He says contentedly, sitting down on the seat in my driver's room. I'm just getting ready for the race. Leclerc has long since done so, so he decided to drop in on me.

"That's good, I think. And what do you do after the race?"

It has become our tradition to spend time together after races. Mostly the two of us or with our friends. I've started to feel comfortable with Charles, which scared me at first, but now I know it's a good thing.

"Oh, I'm sorry Max, but I completely forgot that we always spend time together and I agreed to Lewis' suggestion that I go to the party with him. I'm so sorry, Max!" he says suddenly concerned, looking at me scared. I know he cares about me and doesn't want me to be angry with him, so I put my pride in my pocket and nod.

"It's nothing, Charles. Have fun." I smile, although inside I feel like crap. He left me for Hamilton. He is delighted to meet him, great.

"Thank you, you're the best." He gives me a quick hug and leaves my room as the race is already approaching.

I sigh loudly, fixing my hair before also leaving the garage. It's not going to be a good day. Maybe winning will at least make me feel better....

I exchange a few more words with my mechanics and get into the car. I try to make the best use of the formation lap, and when the lights go out, I easily move from P2 to P1, having a better start than Charles. For the next half of the race I drive first, not worrying about anything. I know that Lewis is currently behind me, followed by Carlos, because Leclerc is changing tires.

I don't have much of an advantage over the Mercedes driver due to the fact that I've also recently been to change tires. I glance in the mirror, seeing a man right behind me. I try not to worry about it. All I have to do is not make any mistakes, and I will hold on to my position. I ignore the voice on the radio, not listening to what it has to say to me. I focus on making sure the pillion Mercedes doesn't overtake me. Suddenly, as I enter the corner, I hear a very angry announcement.