Chapter 5 - Bad News... or is it?

When Xander calmed down, Josh sat up and sighed quietly, looking down at Xander. "Are you feeling better?" Xander nodded with a soft smile, sitting up slightly. Josh smiled down at him and patted his head. "I'm glad. We should be at our next venue tonight. Are you excited?" Xander's eyes lit up. "HELL YEAH!!!!" Josh and Tyler both started laughing their asses off. "Oh my god you are PRECIOUS, Xan!! I wish I could just hold you forever!" Xander laughed quietly with the stupidest grin on his face. Then, his phone rang. He picked up the call wearily. "Hello...?" He set the phone to the speaker, so both of the guys would be in the loop as well. Xander's mother was on the other line. Her voice was sickeningly harsh and rude. "Hello, worthless excuse of a child. Your father and I just finished signing the disownment papers. You're on your own. Hope you die." At that, the call completely dropped. Tyler and Josh stared at the phone in Xander's hand, stunned, shocked, and angry. Tyler spoke up first. "That's fucking sickening." Josh nodded as his hands clenched into fists. "I'd be a better father than she is a mother." Xander looked between them both before hanging his head, tearing up. Josh hugged Xander close again, soothing him. "It's okay, we'll take care of you kiddo. You'll be safe with us. Forever and always." Tyler came over and sat against Josh, rubbing Xander's hair gently. "Yeah, he's right, munchkin. We'll protect you from this point onward. You're one of us now. A special part of Twenty One Pilots." He paused, before speaking again hesitantly. "The big question is... which one of us would you want to adopt you? Either way, the other would be considered your uncle, or you can call us both dad." Josh nodded in agreement, gently squeezing Xander to his chest. "Yeah, one of us could legally adopt you, but you could be both of ours. Trade between houses every couple weeks or something like that. Debby would love to meet you." Xander looked up at their gentle, loving faces and smiled slightly. "I'd be happy to be adopted by you, Josh, legally. That transferring house thing sounds really good though. I'd love to be around both of you." Both Tyler and Josh smiled at the same time. "Consider it settled. I'm gonna go call Debby. You stay here with Tyler okay?" Josh got up and dug his phone out, walking across the bus to call his wife, Debby Ryan. Tyler pulled Xander into his lap and hugged him closely. "I promise, we'll treat you right, kid. You'll be safe with us. Debby is such a sweet person, and Josh is the best person I know to be a father. I know you'll love it with us. Plus, when we go on tour, we can take you with us!" Xander smiled and hugged Tyler, nestled in his warm embrace. He seemed so happy to finally be free.

Josh came back a while later, grinning from ear to ear. "Debby agreed to adopt you. She said she'd love to have you around!" Xander absolutely lost it with a grin and happy stims. Josh and Tyler melted a bit at how excited he was. "I'm glad you're so happy, kid. We're gonna take great care of you." Suddenly, the tour agent appeared on the bus, poking his head in. "Hey, party people! Show starts in 30! Go get ready! You too, Xan." Xander's grin only grew at being specifically mentioned. The trio got up and made their way into the venue, which was in Columbus, Ohio, Tyler and Josh's hometown. They made their way to the dressing rooms, getting themselves ready. Xander basically kept his same outfit, aside from putting on a black face mask to protect his full identity. He cleaned his glasses, fixed his clothes, and smiled in the mirror. He was in a band, specifically his all-time favorite band, having the time of his life. It was all so surreal. Tyler knocked on his dressing room door, his voice excited yet gentle. "Heeeeeey kiddo, you ready? We got 15 minutes!" Xander opened the door and hugged Tyler with a joyful laugh. Tyler smiled and hugged back, enjoying Xander's enthusiasm. Josh joined them and hugged the two. "We got this! I'm sure you'll love it." Xander squealed happily and nodded with pure excitement. "Hell yeah!! We got this!!!" The trio started walking onto the stage, smiling from ear to ear.