Chapter 9 - A Whole Family

As the three walked into the courtroom, the judge looked at them and gestured for them to sit. "So you are the loving people so willing to adopt Xander here?" He spoke clearly and calmly, smiling. Josh spoke up before Debby. "Yes, sir. I'm Josh Dun, and this is my wife Debby Ryan." "Oh I know who you both are. My daughter is obsessed with Twenty One Pilots and Jessie. Odd combination, for sure." The judge looked down at Xander, who was anxiously fidgeting, biting his nails, and bouncing his leg. "Xander, do you feel safe with Josh and Debby? Do they make you feel loved and cared about?" Xander's voice was shaky and quiet, as he stammered a bit. "Y-Yes, sir... I've never felt so loved in my life..." The judge nodded with a smile and handed the adoption papers to Debby and Josh. "Fill these out for me really quick, and then you guys can leave as a family." Debby nodded and clicked out her pen, alongside Josh. They filled the paperwork out with ease and handed it back to the judge, who stamped it and declared loudly, "Xander, you are officially adopted! Welcome to your new family!" Xander started bawling his eyes out as Josh and Debby hugged him. Debby was crying a bit, and Josh had a tear in his eye. It was such a heartwarming sight. They walked out, hand in hand, smiling with tears rushing down their faces.

As they got back in the car, Josh looked back at Xander. "Alright son, where to for lunch? It's your pick." Xander's eyes lit up and he bounced a bit. "Can we go to Cracker Barrel??" Debby smiled and chuckled, nodding. Josh grinned. "Back to where we started, eh? Are you gonna eat more than you did last time?" Xander laughed and nodded. "I'll eat more than a stupid kid's meal!! I just really like their food..." Josh smiled more and grabbed Xander's hand, squeezing it gently. Xander smiled brightly. Finally, he was home.

They got to the local Cracker Barrel and walked in. The hostess on duty smiled at the three, with a slight snarky glare at Xander. "Nice to see you guys again! Who's this?" She pointed at Xander. Josh defensively wrapped an arm around Xander's shoulders, in a protective stance. "This is my son. Just went through the adoption process." The hostess went wide-eyed and nodded understandingly, quickly leading them to a table by the fireplace. The server walked over, took their drink orders, and walked away to get them. Xander stared at the menu anxiously, fidgeting. It was loud, way too loud for him. Josh noticed this and took out a pair of headphones, putting them on Xander's head and rubbing his back. "I'll turn on some of our music for you, okay kiddo? You got this." Xander nodded appreciatively as the music started, calming down quickly as he sipped the drink the server brought for him. Josh put in everyone's food orders and sat and talked with Debby, while Xander just swayed and listened to Twenty One Pilots music.

After their food came, Xander quickly started eating away at his plate until it was gone. Josh chuckled and nodded as he ate, glancing up at Debby occasionally. They paid the bill and left a big tip for the server, then walked out happily. Josh was stopped by a teen customer who wanted a picture, to which Xander just stepped aside awkwardly. Josh noticed this and tugged him over. "If you're a fan of me, you'll love my kid." The teen boy's eyes lit up and he shook Xander's hand. "Never thought I'd meet Josh Dun's kid..." Xander chuckled quietly and hugged the kid. "Awh it's alright. I'm happy to meet you." Xander and Josh took a photo with the kid, signed a book for him, and he ran off happily. The family then went back to the car, heading home for the day to bond all together.