Chapter 7 - Home Sweet Home (Plus Doggie!!)

The three headed for the bus again, packing up to head to their houses. They drove the bus to Josh's house, where Debby was sitting on the porch with Jim, their dog. Josh gently held Xander's hand as they grabbed their bags, walking off the bus together. Tyler waved them off with a smile. "I'll see you in a couple weeks kiddo! Love ya!" Xander grinned and waved back. "See ya in a couple weeks! Love ya too!!" Josh chuckled and walked to the porch, swinging his and Xander's arms in sync. Debby greeted them with an enthusiastic wave, alongside Jim barking and wagging his tail eagerly. "Hey! Welcome home, Xander! I'm delighted to meet you!" Xander waved timidly, smiling softly. He was a little wary, but he knew deep down he was safe here. Josh gently rubbed his shoulder. "Hey, kiddo, calm down. It's safe here. We're gonna go down to the courthouse tomorrow morning and get the adoption papers settled out, okay?" Xander nodded slowly and smiled more. "Shall I show you to your room?? I decorated it just for you! Based on what Josh told me, I'm aware you're a big fan of his and Tyler's band, so the entire room is themed off Twenty One Pilots! Black walls with a red accent wall over your bed, posters, Josh even let me put some of his awards up on the wall for you! There's custom bed sheets that we had no idea what to do with that are in there, merchandise galore stocked up for you in the closet and dresser, and Josh even sacrificed his old Xbox 1S for you!" Xander's eyes lit up as Debby rattled off his room's decor and furnishings excitedly, her growing excitement infecting him quickly. Josh smiled at them both and chuckled. "I can't tell who's more excited about Xander's room, you or Xander!" They all howled with laughter as they walked inside. Debby led them to Xander's new room, which was just as she had described it. Xander's eyes sparkled as he looked around. "Woaaaaahhh!!! This is MINE?!?!" Debby giggled and smiled. "All yours buddy. Get comfy! You'll be here a while. I can only imagine what your room at Tyler's house is gonna look like." Xander nodded excitedly, immediately diving in the bed with a squeal. "I HAVE CUSTOM TWENTY ONE PILOTS BED SHEETS?!" Debby and Josh laughed as they watched Xander be so excited and happy. After a while, they let Jim come into the room. The dog ran over and sniffed Xander intensely before headbutting his hand. Xander chuckled and pet Jim lovingly, watching his tail wag. "I've always wanted a dog!" Josh chuckled softly, smiling more. "Huh, I usually have so much trouble getting Jim to be so gentle around new people. He must like you." Debby went to the kitchen to start cooking dinner. Xander looked up at Josh, sitting on his bed. "Thank you... really, thank you, you took me into your beautiful home with your loving wife and fluffy dog, without hesitation either! You saved me from a life of being mistreated and hurt. I can't thank you enough..." He was tearing up as he spoke. Josh came over and sat next to Xander, pulling him into a warm, gentle embrace. Xander's head rested against Josh's chest as he cried. Josh gently rubbed Xander's hair and back to soothe him. "I couldn't just leave you like that. Even if I didn't take you in myself, Tyler would've. We would've found a way to keep you with us. One way or another. Xander, you mean a lot to both me and Ty. We'll protect you at all costs. Plus, you're my son now, and I'll do anything to keep you safe. Even if it means taking a bullet. I love you, kiddo..." Xander sobbed harder, his voice breaking as he spoke. "I-I love you too, dad..." Josh's heart utterly melted, he was tearing up himself hearing that. Such a wholesome moment unfolding, Josh holding Xander into his chest as they both cried out of pure joy. Jim curled up behind them, his tail wagging slowly. Debby came into the doorway and saw them hugging and crying, to which she snapped a photo on her phone and smiled. "Look at you two, bonding so strongly already. You're already father-son. Josh, I told you, you're an amazing father." Josh chuckled and shook his head slightly, wiping his tears with a sniffle. "Don't you dare send that photo to Tyler, I swear." Debby grinned playfully and sent it anyway. "Little too late, love. Hehe. It's also going on Facebook." Josh whined in a playful way, rolling his eyes. "At least tag me and him in it." Debby nodded and added Xander on Facebook, posting the photo and tagging them both. The caption read: "The love of my life bonding with our newest family addition: Xander, our son! Josh called me with zero hesitation, begging me to let him adopt Xander out of his horrid living situations. He had just gotten disowned when Josh called me. Look at the two bonding, like father-son already. Tomorrow we go in and officialize Xander as a part of the Dun family! Please warmly welcome him <3" Josh read over the post and chuckled, grinning from ear to ear. He showed it to Xander, who started bawling from pure happiness at the post. "Welcome to the family, Xander." Josh squeezed Xander to his chest, and Debby came over and hugged them both. "Welcome home, son." They stayed like that for a while, until Debby pulled back and ran to finish dinner. Josh slowly pulled back and patted Xander's shoulder with a smile. "Let's go get dinner, huh? You're probably starving." Xander nodded eagerly, wiping his tears with a grin. "I could house an entire 5-course meal right now." Both of them laughed as they got up, making their way to the kitchen to eat as a happy family.

As they ate their dinner, laughed at each other's jokes, talked about their weeks, and brought up family stuff, the three grew closer and closer by the minute. Xander was feeling more and more at home and safe with Debby and Josh the more he was around them. It was very heartwarming, considering Xander's upbringing. Debby seemed heartbroken as Xander opened up to her about how he was raised. She started tearing up, and Josh put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her. "Dear Jesus... How can people be that cruel to their child? You just wanted to be loved for who you are, not what they wanted you to be..." Josh nodded in agreement, sighing as he shook his head. "It's not fair to you, not in the slightest. You deserve love and affection. You don't deserve to be hurt." Xander shrugged and finished his food, staring at his empty plate. Debby slowly gathered her composure and got up, taking all their dirty dishes and cleaning them. Josh slowly picked Xander up and carried him to his room, laying him in bed with a smile. "Do you want me to stay with you until you fall asleep?" Xander nodded sleepily, rubbing his eyes as he curled up in bed. Josh laid down with him and held him close, feeling as Xander melted into his embrace and drifted to sleep with ease. Debby appeared in the doorway and watched them with a smile, her voice a gentle whisper. "My two boys' first night at home together... look at them." Josh looked up at her and she was holding her phone, recording them in the dimly lit room. The only thing lighting the room were red LEDs and a warm colored nightlight by the bedside table. Josh chuckled softly and waved to the camera, his voice just as soft. "He's already passed out, but I feel bad leaving him... he's been through so much..." Debby smiled and shook her head gently. "Stay with him tonight dear, I'll be okay. I'll sleep with Jim." Josh chuckled and playfully gasped. "My cuddles are being replaced with my dog?? Wooooowwwwww." Debby snickered and shut the camera off, waving and walking to their bedroom. Josh drifted to sleep, curled up with his son in his arms.

In the middle of the night, Xander woke up with a slight whimper, looking around anxiously. He had a horrendous nightmare. His whimper woke Josh, who looked down at him and pet his hair sleepily. "Caaaaalm down kiddo, it's just a dream... go back to sleep..." Xander shook his head and grabbed his water bottle, sipping from it with a whine. He checked the time. It was 3:47am. He groaned weakly and curled up again, passing out willingly. Josh followed suit, soft snores filling the room.