Chapter 10 - Heartbreak and Renewal

CW: name calling.

After they arrived home, Xander got a text and practically bolted to his room. Josh glanced at Debby worriedly, before following him slowly. He peeked in the cracked door and saw Xander lying on his phone, talking to a girl with a grin on his face.

Josh chuckled and snapped a photo, to Xander whisper yelling, "Hey!!! I'm having a private conversation here!"

Josh laughed and ran back to the living room, posting it on Facebook with a sly grin. Xander came back down about 15 minutes later with an irritated yet happy look on his face. "I might have a crush on a girl..."

Josh and Debby exchanged sly glances before facing Xander. "Oh really? When can we meet her?" "You know me, I love company!"

Xander groaned in embarrassment and hid his face, plopping down on the couch. Josh chuckled and looked down at Xander, putting an arm across his shoulders. "How long have you guys been talking?" "Uh... like... the past two years... I just never had the courage to tell her." Josh gasped quietly. "Two years?! Jeez. Just confess to her dude."

Xander groaned and nodded reluctantly, texting the girl. He spent 5 minutes typing up a heartfelt, emotional outpour of a message, and then sent it. She replied within seconds, and Xander's expression sank. He slowly got up. "I'm going to my room..." His voice was quiet and slightly shaky. Josh's brows furrowed as he watched Xander leave. He looked over at Debby. "What could that girl have said that could hurt him that badly?" "I don't know, but go figure it out." Josh nodded and got up, peeking into Xander's room.

Xander was balled up on his bed, crying quietly. Josh sat next to him and rubbed his back. "Hey sport... What did she say...?"

Xander looked up and held up his phone. The message was long, and painful at that.

"Xander, you overworked, overdramatic piece of shit, why in God's name would you EVER think I would like you?! You're just someone I can pick on, someone I can use for fame and money, especially with you being adopted into Twenty One Pilots! Shove your little 'feelings' down your fucking throat and keep looking. Boy slut."

Josh's face contorted into anger as he stared at the message. "The hell...?"

He picked up his own phone, screenshotted the conversation and sent it to himself, and then called Tyler. Once he picked up, Josh spoke quickly and irritatedly.

"Hey, bro, you got time?"

"Yeah, why? What happened?"

"Some girl just fully confessed that she hated Xander and was using him for money and fame, when he had a whole romantic attraction to her. She broke his heart."

Tyler paused, his voice shaking slightly with rage.

". . . she what?"

"Yeah, you heard me."

Next thing Josh could hear was Tyler starting his car.

"I'll be there in 30. I'm bringing the kid Starbucks, Wendy's, chocolate, ice cream, and a stuffed animal. I ain't knocking."

Josh chuckled slightly. "Alright. See you soon."

With that, the call hung up. Josh pulled Xander into his side and hugged him tightly. "It'll be alright kiddo. Uncle Tyler's coming to bring you your favorite snacks and such." Xander nodded slowly, sitting up a bit and hugging his father.

Within half an hour, Tyler screeched the car to a stop outside the house. He ripped his keys from the ignition and stormed inside, right to Xander's room. He walked in, pulled up a TV tray, and put down a Wendy's bag, boxes of chocolate, a whole quart of ice cream, a spoon, and a venti Frappuccino from Starbucks.

Xander's eyes lit up, through the tears.

Tyler crouched in front of Xander and gently grabbed his chin, forcing eye contact.

"Listen kiddo, she didn't deserve you at all. Not as a friend, not as a girlfriend, hell, she didn't deserve to know you. You are a sweet, loving boy and you deserve someone better."

He pulled Xander into a warm hug. Xander reciprocated the hug with a smile, tears rushing down his face.

As Tyler pulled back, he gestured to the food. "Now feast, my child."

Josh laughed at how Tyler spoke, watching as Xander started devouring the food from Wendy's and chomping down the ice cream.

"Ohhh that's my son alright."

Tyler laughed and messed up Josh's hair playfully. "You know damn well that's your kid. He's emotional, heartfelt, and loving, he deserves the world and yet he can hardly get a good day."

Josh nodded and wiped a tear. Tyler yanked Josh in a tight hug. "You're my 'brother from another mother' for a reason, Josh. Love ya."

Josh chuckled and hugged Tyler back. "Love ya too, Ty. You're the best bro a man could ask for."

Xander burped in the background, interrupting the heartwarming moment and everyone erupted into laughter.

"NICE ONE!"

"HELL YEAH!!"

Xander finished the ice cream and sat back, drinking his Frappuccino as he watched his tv. Josh and Tyler just chatted away behind him, grinning from ear to ear.

This is what family is supposed to be like.