Chapter 8 - Fresh Start

The next morning, Xander woke up around 9:30am with a soft, tired groan. He stretched out a bit and looked up at Josh, who was stirring slightly. "Mmmm best sleep ever..." he muttered, to which Josh looked down at him and smiled tiredly. "Good to hear kiddo... you wanna get dressed so we can head up to the courthouse?" Xander sat up and nodded, digging through his dresser and grabbing the nicest clothes he could find. Josh got up and went to his room to get ready. Xander quickly threw the clothes on and brushed his teeth, fixing his hair up nicely.

The family met up in the kitchen for breakfast. They all looked very professional, Josh and Xander in dress shirts and dress pants, Debby in a beautiful yet simplistic dress. They ate breakfast quickly and filed into the car. Xander crammed himself in the backseat anxiously, drumming his fingers on the car door. Josh noticed this and reached back to hold his hand. "Don't stress it kiddo. It'll go easily. You're an adult, you just need some extra guidance, and you legally have no family. We've got that part covered now." Xander gulped and nodded, feeling his anxiety spiking further. He hated big courthouses in the city. They rode in silence until they got to the courthouse, all filing out nervously. They walked in and were called in almost immediately, which caused everyone to exchange glances of nervousness. This was it.