Chapter eight

𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒍𝒚𝒏'𝒔 𝒑𝒐𝒗

Hours and hours passed and Felix did not return. I think morning has come and I am still inside this room. It is almost empty. There is a large wooden table and chairs around it, which I am sitting on now.

_"I'm back" Haven opened the door with a bottle of water. Haven stayed with me all these hours and we talked a lot. I really got to know her more and began to see her as another person behind the mask she wears in the company.

_"It didn't take you long " I said
_" I couldn't find anything edible, and Isaac refused to search with me because he was busy telling stories about his life with the soldiers "
_" I feel bad for those soldiers" I scoffed .
_" Me too " She smiled .

As far as I know now, I have to meet Mary, my aunt .
Mary is the daughter of the King of Asterlayn. After the kingdom was divided into four regions, Mary took over the rule of the southern region of Sulina. Relations between the king and his only two daughters deteriorated, which forced him to give Mary the province of Sulina and keep two regions under his rule, while the northern region became under the rule of the organizations.
Someone knocked on the door "Felix has returned. Come down " one of the soldiers said as he opened the door .

I'm finally getting out of here.
I followed Haven and from the top of the stairs I saw Felix's hair from behind, but he was standing with only one person.
_" Woo-- wait" Haven's expression appeared worried .
When we got down and stood with them, Felix looked at Haven sadly and said "Arslan and Francis were killed "
I've never seen Felix's face frown like he does now. He looks exhausted and tired I can tell it from his eyes .

_"So I think this means Robert sent men to follow me, and I guess they are the ones who killed your friends" I feel more guilty now. Young men my age were killed because of me. How many people will die because of me as well?

_" Of course , of course he did" Anger made Felix's voice sound sharp, but what impressed me was that Felix was not injured. He was worth ten soldiers in his fighting style.

While Haven was trying to comprehend the death of her two companions, Isaac came from afar calling "You are finally back, Felix. I have suffocated from being here "
He arrived to see the condition of his friends and that Felix returned with only one person, although he went with three of their friends " So where is the rest?" He asked in confusion .

Felix didn't try to answer him, letting Haven answer "Let's go, I want to talk to you about something" Felix called me " Okay " I answered, and we walked toward a room.

I can understand how Haven and Isaac feel now that they have lost two of their friends, it will be a huge blow to them .
_" What do you want to talk to me about? " I said after Felix and I were alone .

_" I bet your grandfather knows now that you're with me " He sat on the chair and began to tie his hair into a way that made him look more handsome .

_" no doubt " I approached the table and sat across from him .
_" We have to go to Sulina as soon as possible, because on our way I spotted two people whose faces I suspected. They must be spies " He spoke to me while thinking and playing with his fingers.

_" To see Mary right?" I asked

_" You--- are going to see Mary" He made it clear .

_" Yes, and you are going with me ! I won't meet her alone " I corrected his sentence .
_" Evelyn, this is your aunt. I will not interfere between you. You have a long conversation and you have to know a lot from Mary" He wanted to explain the situation, but I do not want to meet her alone. She is still a stranger to me.
I haven't heard of her over the past years because I didn't know that we were a family in the first place.

_" I'll take care of that later" I wanted to avoid talking about this now " Is there any news about my mother? " I was curious because I could not contain it inside me. My mother is suffering somewhere and no one knows how she is. I was waiting for Robert's lie that he killed her.

_" Nothing new " He replied after being silent for a long time " We'll go now ,so get ready"

_"Now ?! well I'm already ready" I ran after him after he left the room, not caring about my answer, and we headed towards the soldiers who were gathered and ready to go.

I saw sadness on Isaac's face, who seemed worried about parting with his two friends.

In front of him, Haven was distributing weapons to the rest of them. Then she noticed us standing in front of them, so she called everyone to turn around the table that was in the middle of us, where Felix was standing at the front of it.

_" Well, before we take off from here, I will develop an escape strategy to enter the borders of the southern region of Sulina "Felix put his hands on the table and began to state his plan while I stood behind him just listening .

_" Forget about using cars, we will go on horses and then we will take the forest road to be safer. When we get out of the forest we will cross the bridge. Please, at this point, avoid any clashes with civilians and just continue on your way" he added .
_" Wait, this will take longer. Why did you cancel the use of cars?"Isaac wondered .

_" To remove suspicions" Haven reminded him, then returned her gaze to Felix "Continue, we are listening "

Felix continued " And remember something important, we have to get Evelyn to Lady Mary, this is an order, so if something happens to one of us when we get out, the rest of us have to keep going " He continued his discussion, turning to me and giving his soldiers an order that I should arrive safely .

We went out and everyone got on the horses. Felix and I got on one horse, and of course, given his size, I didn't see anything unless I leaned a little to the right "Hold on tight, I may forget that you are riding with me because you are so small that I cannot see you "

I let my hands wrap around his waist and the feeling of touching his body gave me a feeling that made my stomach turn .

Now we left the place and continued our way through the forest. The shadows of the trees blocked the sun's rays from us, and so each of the soldiers followed the strategy that Felix had set for them.

While we were walking, I felt an uneasy feeling. I felt like we were being watched and someone was tracking us. Maybe Felix was right about those two people he met and noticed signs of doubt in them.

We're in the middle of the lineup, so if the front row guys noticed something strange, they would have given us signals, so there's no need for me to worry, I'll trust them.
No, this feeling does not want to leave me .

"Felix, something strange is happening." I want him to reassure me "We will keep moving forward, don't worry," he answered without turning around. He was trying to ignore the matter and wanted to reach the port as quickly as possible.

I saw Felix looking at a place beyond the trees to our right until the lens of his eye zoomed in "Bend down, immediately!" he shouted above my head, changing the direction of the horse at the same time as continuous gunshots were fired, coming from all directions, making the ground look like an earthquake had struck it.