Chapter 6: Picking a Fight

Aster decided to wait a few days before setting Sorbit's jewelry out for the Fae. In the meantime she focused on practicing her casts and catching up with her studies. Miss Madeleine offered to help Aster catch up on anything she may feel behind on since she started in her second year. For the most part, Aster really only needed help with book work. She excelled easily in her magic casting.

  Over the next week, Aster was becoming much more familiar with the Academy and her other classmates. She began to become a little more social in her fourth hour class, making more conversations with Alfie and Marshall. They were both so kind to her, and it made her feel silly for ever thinking the other students thought poorly of her. She seemed to find no luck with Zilla and Kale, but trying to ignore them as Sebastian said seemed to be working as best as it could.

  Professor Heathcliff still puzzled Aster. It seemed he made it a point to avoid any eye contact or conversation with her unless absolutely necessary. Whenever he did talk to her, he struggled to hold eye contact, and was soft spoken with her. Sebastian had his theories as to why Professor Heathcliff treated her differently, but Aster tried to pay no attention to it. She had enough going on, she didn't need the stress of Professor Heathcliff added. She was just grateful he wasn't out to make her life miserable.

  On the last day of classes for the week, Aster decided to lay out the jewelry for the Fae. It was a beautiful necklace with aquamarine gems of different sizes decorated across it. Aster felt guilty using Sorbit's family jewelry, but she truly insisted.

  The next day, Aster returned to the Greenwood to find the jewelry was gone. She decided to head back to the Academy, concluding that if the Fae wanted to contact her they would. It may take longer to gain their trust, but Aster was determined.

   Halfway back to the Academy, Aster noticed Sebastian sitting on a bench. She was confused, she thought he had left to visit his mother again this weekend. He seemed to be in deep thought, only noticing her when she was right in front of him.

  "No luck?" he asked, looking up at Aster from the bench.

  She shook her head. "They took it, so we'll see. If they don't reach out to me I can just try again soon."

  Sebastian nodded but didn't say anything else.

  Aster took a seat next to him. "Is everything okay?"

  Sebastian shrugged. "My mum is getting worse. I just, I don't know. It's hard for me to see her like this. She lost her eyesight last night. I want to see her, but damn Roger."

  "You shouldn't let him get to you so much," Aster said. "It's your mom. He should leave whenever you come to visit so that you have more quality time with her."

  "Hah, that's a good one. He would never be so considerate."

  "Do you want me to come with you?"

  Sebastian looked at Aster, his eyes grew bigger and his face softened. "You mean it?"

  "I'm going to meet her eventually," said Aster. "I may as well get to know her now. I don't want to intrude though."

  "You could never intrude. My mother loves meeting my friends. She has begged me everytime to bring Huck with me, but I can't bring myself to tell her the real reason he won't come."

  Aster smiled. "I can't wait to meet her. I will just have to let Miss Madeleine know then."

  The two friends stood up and began to head to the Academy. They hadn't gotten far when they realized they were being watched. Standing directly behind them, only a few feet away, stood Kale Maverick.