Chapter 7: The Deal

The next morning, Aster was still feeling down. She forced herself to eat and get dressed, knowing she needed to get down to the Greenwood and fix the hole she created. Miss Perrie said she wouldn't need to see her again until later that night to change her bandage, so she didn't even mess with her burns. They didn't seem to bother her, and they were probably already on the mend.

Aster met Miss Madeleine in the corridor leading to the back door. Miss Madeleine asked her how she was feeling, but that seemed to be the summary of their conversation. Once they got outside, Miss Madeleine's mouth gaped open.

"You did that?" She asked, looking at the small crater in the ground.

"I told you, I punched it. My offensive casts were too slow to hit Kale, and I knew I'm stronger than him. So that's why I didn't put up a shield against his cast and let myself get burned. If I had known how powerful his cast was, I wouldn't have, but..."

Miss Madeleine stared at Aster, eyes wide. "How reckless. Just like your mother, I must say. Lila didn't have the same strength though.."

"Nelly never understood it either. I'm sorry, Miss Madeleine," Aster mustered. "I know I disappointed you. I should have never pushed Kale."

Miss Madeleine's expression softened. "Aster, I'm not disappointed in you. You were sticking up to a bully, and you were sticking up for your friend. Just like your mother. I don't mean that as a bad thing. I just, I promised myself that if I brought you here, I would protect you. Now look at you."

Aster perked up. "Don't blame yourself. It was my own fault. If I had just used my shield..."

"I couldn't even protect you from the Dark Keeper back in Jobbleville," Miss Madeleine's head hung. "I've let Lila down."

Aster shook her head. "I don't think so. I think my mom would be grateful to you. I know Nelly meant well, but without you, I'd have never found out the truth about who I am. I'd have never met the friends that I've made here. I at least know that I'm grateful to you. More than words could ever explain."

Miss Madeleine's eyes began to water. "Aster, I'm so proud of you. And I know for a fact that Lila would be too. She loved you more than anything in the entire galaxy."

Aster couldn't help but blush, and tear up herself. "Thank you. I wish I could remember her."

Miss Madeleine nodded. "I know, dear. She was the best friend anyone could ever ask for. You seem to take after her in that aspect, too. I miss her every day."

Miss Madeleine offered to help place the soil, but Aster refused. She said it was her fault and she wanted to make things right. She even offered to use magic to grow the grass back, but Aster said all she needed was the seeding and she would tend to the area everyday. Aster truly wanted to take responsibility for her actions, but she also hoped maybe the Fae would see her efforts and forgive her for causing damage to nature.

Miss Madeleine conjured up the soil and seedings for Aster then left her to it. It was relaxing in a way. It was a beautiful warm day, the sun shining brightly and the wind lightly brushing against Aster's face every so often. She took her time, wanting to make sure the soil was packed in evenly.

Once she was finished she decided to take a stroll across the border of the Greenwood. This time, it wasn't her intention to contact any Fae, but to just enjoy the beautiful nature. She did this often back at home, strolled through the woods by her house. The trees, the flowers and plants, the bushes, everything brought her peace and always calmed any nerves she may have had. It certainly was the best way to clear her head and gather her thoughts.