Chapter 10: Progress

The moment Aster woke up, she knew she was late. She jumped up and tossed herself together real quick before glancing at the time on her way out the door. Second hour had already begun.

She fought her nerves the entire way to Biology. The moment she got there, she nearly burst through the doors. Professor Hep looked at her with a bewildered expression.

"Miss Grey, are you all right?" He asked. Her classmates mirrored his same stare as she stood in the doorway.

Aster nodded. "I apologize, I uh wasn't feeling well last night and didn't sleep much, I didn't mean to be late."

"Just sit down, it's fine. And calm down."

Aster took a deep breath and walked to her seat next to Sorbit, whose eyes looked at Aster with a million questions.

Aster couldn't even focus on the lecture Professor Hep provided. Her mind was occupied on the book, and more so her encounter with her professor the previous night. She was beginning to feel a little nervous about Potions class. Did he even remember their conversation or was he too drunk? She knew Professor Heathcliff never would've acted that way sober. And if he did remember, would he ask for the book back?

Aster also felt somewhat guilty. She exploited his relationship with her mother in order to gain that book. It wasn't for selfish reasons, it was all to save Amara. Someone who truly deserves to live. And the professor seemed more than happy to help Aster. He actually seemed more than happy just to have a conversation with her. Maybe things would be different if he wasn't reminded of Lila's untimely demise every time he looked into Aster's eyes. Maybe they would have a relationship like she has with Miss Madeleine.

Before Aster knew it, the bell sounded signifying the end of class. Sorbit grabbed Aster's arm as they stood up to exit.

"I'll walk you to Potions," she said.

They walked a little bit in silence until they made it out of the busier hallways. Once less people were around, Sorbit turned to Aster during their walk.

"So what's been going on?"

"I have a lot to tell you I guess," said Aster. "About professor Heathcliff and my mom."

Sorbit's eyes widened. "Really?"

"Can we talk about it some other time though?"

"We can't talk at lunch?"

"I don't want to risk anyone hearing. You know how talk gets back to the professors sometimes."

Sorbit sighed, but agreed. "Okay. What about after class?"

"I'm supposed to meet Sebastian after 7th hour."

Sorbit groaned.

"I promise we'll talk soon. Okay?"

"Yeah yeah," Sorbit replied.

Aster made it to Potions before Sebastian, unsurprisingly. She tried to tame her nerves as she waited for her friend. She waved to Matty as she walked in, who smiled back but had a hint of worry in her eyes. She probably wondered why Aster wasn't in homeroom. Aster was sure she looked worse for wear as well, her eyes must've looked rough from lack of sleep, she hadn't ate since dinner the night before.

Sebastian came in a little sooner than normal. He seemed surprised to see Aster.

"You feeling okay?" He asked. "You weren't in homeroom."

Aster planned on not telling him about the book until after classes were over, but in this moment she couldn't help herself.

"I visited Professor Heathcliff last night," she whispered.