Chapter 15: More Questions

Aster was determined when she left for Evania. She still hadn't received word regarding Nelly or Miss Madeleine, but she tried to push that into the back of her mind.

  One problem at a time, she told herself.

  The bus ride wasn't pleasant, but Aster occupied her thoughts through the course of it. She remembered vividly what the Faery had done to her. And she was ready to perform the cast.

  How long, that depends on your power.

  Aster wished the Faery would've gone into further detail. At least she could be thankful for the fact that she didn't owe anything to the Faery, really. She just needed to stay clear of the Greenwood. She could do that.

  Sebastian was waiting for Aster at the bus stop. Seeing her friend lifted her spirits more than what she thought possible. She didn't realize how much she missed him until she saw him again.

  Sebastian opened his arms and she walked right into them. They hugged for a long moment, and then broke the embrace to look at each other.

  "How is she?" was the first thing Aster asked.

  Sebastian shrugged. "Not much worse. We found a wonderful nurse. She kind of reminds me of you."

  "That's good," said Aster. "I have to tell you something."

  "What is it?"

  "I went back to the Greenwood and met with the Faery."

  Sebastian's face turned to shock then to anger. "Are you joking? Aster! You promised Huck."

  "Sebastian, we're desperate. But it's okay. The only deal we had was that I stay away from her and the Greenwood."

  "Why in the galaxy would that be the deal?"

  Aster shrugged. "I think the Faery has something against Keepers. I don't know."

  "How do you know she actually helped you? That this isn't a trick?"

  "I just know. Do you trust me or not?"

  Sebastian sighed. "I don't want you to get hurt again."

  "I don't think I will. I think she taught me to halt the spread of the Dark Magic, as if to seal it. It's not going to cure her, but it should give us time."

  Sebastian seemed to accept this. "Whatever, Aster, do what you have to. I trust you."

   Amara did look better than Aster had hoped. She was sitting in her bed, the head of it propped up. The color in her cheeks was still rosy, and her eyes didn't look so exhausted. She instantly beamed when she saw Aster.

  "Come here, dear," she sang.

  Aster approached and took Amara's hands, which pulled her right in for a hug.

  "We've missed you," she whispered into Aster's hair.

  Aster pulled back and smiled, relieved to see Amara wasn't worse for wear. "I've missed you both."

  "Sebby found the perfect nurse," said Amara. "She's so kind and smart, just like you! She was intrigued to find out Sebastian's best friend is a Light Keeper, I know she'd love to meet you soon."

  "I'd love to meet her as well," said Aster.

  "Next time of course, you kids have to get back to school for the Solstice Ball."

  "The ball isn't until tomorrow, mum," said Sebastian. "We can hangout a little longer. We'll take the late bus ride back home."

  Amara's brow creased. "I don't want you walking from Jobbleville in the dark."