Chapter 14: Do Not Come Back

"I decided I'm not going back," Sebastian said to his mother the next morning. "I'm going to stay here with you this week."

This was news to Aster, but she wasn't surprised. She would probably do the same if she were in Sebastian's situation.

"No, Sebby...."

"Yes," he interrupted. "I need to make sure you're okay."

"I talked to Roger, about hiring a nurse to care for me during the week," she said.

"Okay well that hasn't happened yet," said Sebastian. "I'll stay until it does at least."

"You can't miss the Solstice Ball."

"I don't want to go without you."

"I bought your outfit specifically for it," Amara's eyes took on a plea. "Please, Sebastian. I can't see you waste your time sitting here with me."

"It's not a waste! I can't lose anymore time with you."

Amara couldn't help but smile. "My perfect son. What did I ever do to deserve you."

"Maybe just stay this week," Aster spoke up. "You can help pick out a nurse, that way you know she has someone here that you can trust. I'll come back on the last day of classes this week to fetch you for the Solstice Ball and we can go together."

"That sounds good," said Amara. "Though I hate to see you miss a whole week of classes."

Sebastian's face was still distraught, but he finally nodded. "Okay. But I'll only go back as long as we find a decent nurse."

After she said goodbye to Amara, Sebastian walked with Aster to wait for the bus. They didn't really talk, Aster knew words wouldn't have any comfort, and Sebastian's head was spiraling with thoughts. As soon as the bus began barreling down the gravel, he spoke up.

"I'm sorry I have to stay here."

Aster turned to her friend. "Don't apologize for that. You need to spend time with your mom. You'll send me a letter if you need me?"

Sebastian nodded.

"Okay. If I don't hear from you, then I'll see you at the end of the week, okay?"

He nodded again. He didn't want to see his friend go, but he knew it wasn't realistic for her to stay here with him. The bus made its stop and he opened his arms for a quick embrace.

"I hope the ride isn't too dreadful," he said as they hugged.

"I've been through worse," Aster laughed. "Enjoy your week with your mom. I'll see you soon."

Once Aster made it back to Jobbleville, it seemed Professor Heathcliff was waiting for her at the bus stop. Aster was very surprised.

"Hi, Professor Heathcliff," she said as she approached.

He nodded at her. "Sebastian sent a Pixie to the Principal informing of the situation. He requested that a professor be here to walk you back since he wouldn't be with you."

"A Pixie?" Aster was surprised.

Professor Heathcliff nodded. "I suppose you didn't have Pixies back with Nelly. They're the fastest way to deliver messages."

"Wow." Aster thought that would be useful, if she wanted to get word to Nelly quickly in the future. She then decided against it, knowing a Pixie showing up on Nelly's doorstep would only cause her anxiety.

The two began their trek back to the Academy. It was silent for the most part, but not uncomfortable. It seemed Aster and Professor Heathcliff had reached a new level of their relationship. Now that she knew he didn't despise her, she wasn't terrified to be around him. And it seemed he was starting to be able to look at Aster without wanting to burst into a bottle of whiskey.