Chapter 18: Make Me

The next day Aster did feel somewhat lighter in her emotions. Sebastian had invited her back to Evania to see his mother, which she wanted to decline at first. She didn't want to drag Sebastian and his mother down with her sadness. But Sebastian insisted, and so did Miss Madeliene.

"Sitting here and worrying isn't going to change anything," the professor told Aster. "Please leave Nelly to us. You should be with your friends."

Amara seemed in as good as health since the last time they saw her, to Aster's relief. The cast she had performed must have worked, and remained effective. Sebastian made sure to bring the photographs from the Solstice Ball, which Aster nearly forgot about.

"Oh yeah, here's your copies," he said, handing Aster four photographs.

She couldn't help but bush when looking at them, her and Sebastian did look very nice together. Her favorite was the one of her, Huck, and Sebastian. The genuine smiles were evident, and it was a treasure to, a reminder of the friendships she had made at the Academy.

Amara all but burst into tears when looking at the photographs.

"Sebby! I've never seen a more handsome man! And Aster, oh dear you are the most beautiful girl I've ever seen! Oh my goodness, even Huck got into one. I love them, I love them, oh I love them so much!"

"Don't worry mum, I made sure they printed out copies for you, too," Sebastian grinned.

The rest of the evening was precisely what Aster needed. She made sure to ask Sebastian not to mention anything about Nelly, so that Amara wouldn't have to worry. But as the evening continued, she realized it was for her own sake, too. She needed the day to keep her mind busy, and not worry over things she couldn't control. Although Nelly was always in the back of her mind, she decided she could have one day where she wasn't drowning in her grief and anxiety.

The day eventually came to an end and Sebastian and Aster had to leave to make it back to the Academy before sunset. Amara insisted she was feeling just fine and Aster had no reason to perform any magic on her. To which Aster insisted anyway, just to be cautious. She wouldn't be able to live with herself if she had left without doing anything and Amara taking a turn for the worst.

Sebastian and Aster were the only two on the bus ride home. Sebastian decided to use this opportunity to talk to Aster about the Fortis Arbor.

"So, I'm pretty sure I've got a good idea on how to get there," he told Aster.

"When do you want to go?"

"We can go after class tomorrow, if you want?"

"Hmm," Aster pondered this. "Do you think anyone will know we've gone?"

Sebastian shrugged. "I wish we could skip classes, go first thing in the morning." Suddenly his eyes lit up. "Hey, I've got an idea."

"What is it?" Aster quickly asked.

"We can go to my mums again this weekend, but we'll leave first thing in the morning. Then head straight to the Greenwood. We can make it back to the Academy before dinner!"

"Are you sure? I don't want to take time away from you mom."

"As long as she's still doing well, it'll be just fine," said Sebastian. "Is that the plan then? Do you mind waiting another week?"

"It's the best we've got," said Aster. "Let's plan for it."

~~

The next week seemed to drag by as long as ever. There was a huge change though, it seemed Professor Heathcliff volunteered himself to go searching for any clues regarding Nelly. Miss Madeleine insisted it should be her, considering she could talk to the Fae for help.